Questions/Stories?

Squeaglez

Post   » Tue May 10, 2011 10:00 pm

I know alot about that shelter because I almost adopted a animal from there once but decided not to because I learnt that breed of animals are solatairy. Anyway they rescue and provide all the vet care nessasary. They give ALL the pets a chance. Once a pet is COMPLEATLY healed and well they give it around 60 days to be adopted because sadly ALOT of animals need shelter and there arent many shelters in Calgary. If less animals of that speices are coming in it will stay on for adoption longer but if lots of animals of that speicies are coming in they get a minimum of 60 days. Alot are also sent to foster home and sometimes if the animal is lucky enough the staff/volenteers themselves will adopt the pet =) .

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Tue May 10, 2011 11:08 pm

A four by five grid cage would be excellent, the more width a cage has the better when it comes to cavies that are going through puberty or are less keen on other cavies being right in "their" space.

The pet store cage can be kept as a travel cage, for short quarantine periods, and is great for cavies recovering from surgery who need to have activity limited until they recover.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Tue May 10, 2011 11:18 pm

To add to what bpatters wrote.. an animal shelter is usually a public facility run by the city/county from tax dollars. They can euthanize, often have to take in all the 'stray' and owner surrender animals from their jurisdiction. They are often overworked, and not enough money or space to care for them all.

It sounds like yours is better than most.

A rescue is typically a private, no-kill, not for profit or non-profit that selects what animals to take in. Like bp said, they screen adopters and tend to be more informed about their animals. They are usually fostered in private homes rather than in a facility.

Myndy

Post   » Tue May 10, 2011 11:20 pm

Where I live Humane societies are the shelter.
Most of the humane society that I know of are associated with the spca. The Humane society in my town has a no kill policy and all animals are given housing, vet care and whatever they need and then are adopted.
I personally have had an issue with the humane society here because they keep animals that are not adoptable and I figure they could help more animals by letting the space be given to an animal that is adoptable.
I don't advocate euthenizing animals but I do believe in not letting them suffer or have no quality of life. I should get off this subject before I get upset.

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Thu May 12, 2011 4:04 am

I'll echo Cinnabuns mom about other uses for the pet store cage. In addition, they are handy to use during free roam time for the hay/water/safe spot. Just make a little ramp so they can come and go easy. Doing this keeps them familiar with the cage and can use it for traveling or shorter trips such as the vets. I find it makes it easier for them to hop in willingly as well.

WICharlie

Post   » Thu May 12, 2011 10:59 am

A decent rescue is run by volunteers, usually out of their own homes (with many foster homes being part of one rescue). They rely on donations from others (and sometimes suppliment from their own pocket). They quarantine all pigs that come into the rescue and most usually treat for mites/lice and they should not adopt a pig out unless they believe it is healthy. They will provide information on proper guinea pig care, will often require a certain cage size, and require you to sign a contract. Any donations toward the pig's adoption goes back into the rescue to provide for other needy pigs. Most rescues take pigs from shelters and also private parties that don't want them anymore.

A shelter is usually a humane society or "pound." Very few are no-kill. They are usually required to take in any and all homeless or needy animals. Most are filled to the brim with dogs and cats, but accept other animals as well.

Because they rarely get in guinea pigs, and they are limited as to funds (especially smaller, rural shelters) many of them routinely euthanize small animals as soon as they come into the shelter. Others do try and place them into homes, but do not really know how to sex properly or how to care for them properly.

There is a really good chance of getting a pregnant pig from a shelter if it is female. Any guinea pig coming from this kind of shelter should be quarantined in a separate room from your present pigs and should be treated for mites. Ideally, they should also be seen by a vet. Be absolutely sure that you know what sex your own pig is before you go this route and be sure that you (or someone that goes with you) knows how to properly sex a guinea pig. You must not rely on the shelter staff for this because they get it wrong all the time. Adopting a pig from a shelter/humane society is riskier than adopting from a rescue, BUT know that if you do this, you may be truely saving that pigs life.

Squeaglez

Post   » Thu May 26, 2011 5:13 pm

HELP! So I got a VERY high fever over the weekend and it makes me want to puke when I get up so im really scared to make contact with my guinea pig afraid he will get sick to. My family is taking care of him right now under my command so they dont do anything wrong and according what they said he poops when: you pick him up, you put him down, he eats, he sleeps, and he leaves a trail of poop where ever he goes and I went to the doctor to get my health checked and...guess what? I am supposed to have a virus thats supposed to last 72hr. ITS BEEN MUCH LONGER THAN THAT!

Edit: I feel SO helpless and small =(

:(

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Thu May 26, 2011 5:44 pm

Squeaglez, pretty sure you can't give whatever you've got to a guinea pig.
As far as I know, only fungal infections are cross=species infectious.

Mom2boars

Post   » Thu May 26, 2011 6:28 pm

I agree with KrazyKawaii. I don't think you can pass your sickness on. I hope you feel better-sounds like whatever you have is awful :(
As far as the piggie poops: totally normal!! They are poopin' machines!! As long as they're not overly soft or mushy, it's fine!

Squeaglez

Post   » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:00 pm

Im feeling better now =) And also have lots of more questions! 1) My guinea pig is getting MUCH heavier whats wrong with him? 2) Mabe is he actually a her? 3) "His" belly is all lumpy, Is anything wrong? 4) "He" is eating like a cow, Am I not feeding him enough? 5)"He" is almost 1000 grams is "he" to fat? I'll post some pictures soon!

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:08 pm

1000g is a good weight. He can gain more and still be "normal." I think he's adorable, but am wondering if he's -- oh shoot. I lost the word! Someone help me! -- Pigs with hollow hair. The ones that look really shiny and almost glow. (Darned brain damage!)

Glad you're feeling better.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:42 pm

Two hours later . . . Satin! I think your pig might be a Satin.