Female guinea pig in Portland, OR metro area with broken leg

paulammoore

Post   » Fri May 27, 2011 1:20 am

My vet called me today about a female guinea pig, just around 4 months old, who was brought in after the client's child/ren somehow managed to break the rear leg of the pig and possibly sprain the front leg.

At this point, I've just been asked to possibly find a home willing to adopt her and of course pay for her treatment.

It's possible she might need an amputation, I am waiting to hear back on what all might be involved, but at the time we spoke, we were just looking at xrays, a splint, and pain medicine. Of course handfeeding will be necessary because she is in significant pain (the "incident" happened a week or so ago and she was just now getting her in today). I am willing to contribute to the cost of medical treatment if necessary, but I don't have room for another pig right now.

If anyone is interested please message me through the forum's mailer. Thanks.

I am hoping to have pictures to provide soon.

paulammoore

Post   » Fri May 27, 2011 1:22 am

Oh, also - just to be clear - the pig has been surrendered to the vet clinic. Vet was able to talk the woman out of euthanasia in hopes I could help.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri May 27, 2011 1:29 am

Kids need to stick to video games. When they break, it's not a painful, possibly life-threatening injury to a living being. This little one has suffered horribly for a week. I truly hate people.

Kudos to your vet's office for doing so well by this little girl. I hope you can help her get some help.

I may be able to help a little financially with her care also (after 1 June).

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri May 27, 2011 6:49 am

Kids need to stick to video games. When they break, it's not a painful, possibly life-threatening injury to a living being. This little one has suffered horribly for a week. I truly hate people.
Talishan, you took the words right out of my mouth. This story just absolutely infuriates me.

Hopefully the little girl can heal and enjoy a second chance at a good life. When will you hear something back from the vet? I may be able to send a little something, too, after June 3 or possibly on the 14th.

Keep us posted.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Fri May 27, 2011 8:31 am

Poor little girl. I hope she can be saved. I can help with the vet bills too.

SwtMelly

Post   » Fri May 27, 2011 9:24 am

Having gone though Beau having a broken hind leg and deciding to get it pinned, I truly feel for this poor girl. Beau (neutered) is leading a happy, healthy life with his girlfriend Carlie.

Can you post information for the vet so that I could send some $ towards this girls care?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri May 27, 2011 9:39 am

Did the break pierce the skin?

So glad it looks like this guinea pig will have a second chance.

shanachie05

Post   » Fri May 27, 2011 10:02 am

Poor girl, how awful.
It drives me crazy when such avoidable things like this happen. My kid is 7, and she is not allowed to handle the pigs at all. I give her chances very briefly and under supervision, but never leave her and never let her hold for long. She doesn't carry them, or handle them in any other way. She enjoys the time with the pigs and everyone stays safe.
Sending prayers for healing because it's all I can do just now... *sigh*

paulammoore

Post   » Fri May 27, 2011 11:02 am

Just got an email from my vet. I am sad to report that when he went to check on her this morning, she had passed.

The injury had happened over a week ago, and she had not been able to move to the water bottle and the owners were not syringe feeding, so by the time they got her in, she was just too weak and couldn't be saved. At least she died warm, with a full belly and water and hopefully not in any pain.

Thanks everybody.

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Fri May 27, 2011 11:22 am

People suck! Can neglect charges be filed against them?

SwtMelly

Post   » Fri May 27, 2011 1:56 pm

That just makes me want to cry. Popcorn over the bridge little one, no more pain, just green fields and sunny skies!

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Fri May 27, 2011 2:18 pm

Oh how sad. I was looking forward to seeing her recover. Poor little girl. People suck.