What on earth could this be?

GuineaKidsMomma

Post   » Sat May 28, 2011 12:47 am

My husband and I got home from running errands a bit ago, and he noticed this weird thing in the pigs' cage. I have no clue what it is, and want to make sure it's not something I should be concerned about, though I have a feeling it is. It's a cloudy color, and was wet when we found it. When pinched between two fingers it feels like dry glue from a hot glue gun, or a ball of dried rubber cement; it's firm and holds it's shape, but it's also a little bit squishy. It was near the area where the boys sleep/play, if that helps at all. I took a couple pictures, though they aren't the best quality. If any of you have any idea what this could be I'd really appreciate some enlightenment. Thanks a ton!

rshevin

Post   » Sat May 28, 2011 12:55 am

That, my dear, is what is euphemistically called "boar glue." A more technical term would be dried semen.

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Sat May 28, 2011 1:12 am

Rshevin beat me to the punch, at first I thought stone but then I looked closer and realized it was "boar glue". It's pretty normal, as long as there isn't any stuck in the boar's bits it's fine, just a bit off putting.

GuineaKidsMomma

Post   » Sat May 28, 2011 1:14 am

Lol! That's what my husband automatically thought it was. I couldn't see how it would harden like that, so I brushed it off, worrying that it was a stone or something. He's not going to let me live that one down any time soon. I suppose it is about time for the boys to be hitting puberty. :)

Thanks for alieviating my excessive worrying!

moonfall

Post   » Sat May 28, 2011 1:32 am

I thought either one had passed a stone or it was a really large lump of dried urine.

The only boars I ever had were when my sows had babies, and I had to give them away long before they were making "boar glue."

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Sat May 28, 2011 1:59 am

Oh...it gets really hard, particularly if it lands on the face of another pig. Sometimes one boar will get up close and personal with another pig and pig 2 will let pig 1 have it in the kisser. Try getting that gunk out cause it dries hard as a rock. I've had to trim hair in order to remove it.

Charybdis

Post   » Sat May 28, 2011 6:45 am

Guinea pigs are such delightful creatures.

clairey

Post   » Sat May 28, 2011 1:17 pm

*giggles* As soon as I saw the thread title, I just knew what the answer was going to be!

Cavy chaos

Post   » Sat May 28, 2011 1:42 pm

Ahh boar glue, the joys of having a boy pig. Years ago if someone would have told me I would have a pet that pooped on me, left semen balls and I had to clean out their poo impacted bottoms, I would have said they were nuts! :)

GuineaPigGoddess

Post   » Sat May 28, 2011 1:49 pm

I have 5 boys (one neutered) and have never found boar glue in these two years... though I have caught a few wonderful whiffs of boar stank. :)

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Sat May 28, 2011 2:04 pm

So did I clairey :) he he

Feylin

Post   » Sat May 28, 2011 2:47 pm

Yes, just be glad you aren't cutting that out of someone's fur!