What on earth could this be?

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sat May 28, 2011 3:04 pm

I can't believe it hasn't been analyzed and replicated as building adhesive. I have bedding that has gone through six years' worth of washing and still has boar glue on it.

frillint

Post   » Sat May 28, 2011 3:52 pm

I have never seen boar glue. My neutered boy is over a year old.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sat May 28, 2011 4:21 pm

frillint - I'm pretty sure neutered boys don't make boar glue - am I right? All of my boars are intact.

GuineaPigGoddess

Post   » Sat May 28, 2011 4:46 pm

I have intact boys too, never seen boar glue.

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Sat May 28, 2011 7:30 pm

I've only seen boar glue a couple of times; most recently on Phantom's chin, and he's paired with a neutered boy who's pretty mellow so I think it happened while he was cleaning himself.

goosey1019

Post   » Sat May 28, 2011 8:01 pm

I started laughing so hard when you described it because I recognized it right away! My boys are both teenagers, so I've seen a lot of it. When they first were introduced, some got ground into Neal's hair and man was that fun to get out! Mostly I see it dried on the fleece or a little bit on Neal's lips though I sometimes do find some on Mozzie's undercarriage that I have to cut out.

Sofia M

Post   » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:16 pm

I am an experienced FEMALE guinea pig owner, but this is my first MALE guinea pig and I don't know much about boars. Can you find boar glue when it isn't dry? Also, does anybody have any tips about boars after you neuter them or just about boars in general? I plan to get mine neutered so he can hang out with my girls without me having to worry.

Thanks for any tips you may have!!!!!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:47 pm

jacqueline

Post   » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:24 am

Someone once posted here that the aviation industry should look into boar glue to replace bolts on planes. That's how strong that stuff is. I've had to cut that stuff out of many a piggie's behind.

Good luck as you enter the world of boars. It is a bit different (*giggles*). I've had all boys (with one or two girls over the years). I've only once had a neutered couple. Most of the time I've had cages of boys.

Just know they tend to need more space, in every possible way.

lunarminx

Post   » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:27 pm

Boar glue, I have seen it many times from my very nasty dominate boar who is finally neutered and now living with 4 sows and whipped into place. Please do not try to pull off if on the pig's hair, it will rip out hunks of it. Only try if plugging the nose, yes that happens. Their saliva happens to break it down really well. And just so you know, they can get it on their own mouth.

Melodicah

Post   » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:47 pm

I was transferring my boys to do a cage clean and found this weird gunk in the hair on the back of the one of them. I puzzled over it for a few minutes. It made me think of wax. Stubborn, impossible to remove wax. I ended up having to cut it out. He had a nice bald spot on his back for a while.
It was my husband that suggested it was... fluids from the other pig (who actually did hump that one ALL the time).

Thankfully that's the only time that happened!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:12 pm

Yes, it sounds like boar semen (also called "boar glue").