Which is better... Males with males or female male?

Charlie pig

Post   » Mon May 30, 2011 6:45 am

My pig Charlie is 12 weeks old and needs a buddy. I'd like some thoughts (pro/cons) on whether to get him another baby male or baby female to pair up with?

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Mon May 30, 2011 6:51 am

Guinea pigs go more by personality rather than gender. But if you want to introduce a female, someone has to be fixed! A rescue can help you find a good personality mix.

serelixyue

Post   » Mon May 30, 2011 8:21 am

12 weeks old is still a young boar, there should not be too many problems with introducing another boar, but problems may arise in adolescence, which is soon!

if you can get someone fixed, then a female and a male makes a very happy couple :)

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Mon May 30, 2011 10:00 am

I had good luck with my boars. Jules and Steve were such a bonded pair.

BugsysMama

Post   » Mon May 30, 2011 10:49 am

If you are going to introduce 2 young boars be sure you have a back up plan for the cage if they plan on being naughty and not get along. I introduced my boars and all was well for 2 months and then all hell broke loose! They were in a 2x8 with 2 haylofts. I had to divide the cage quickly after the little one was beaten up pretty good. They have been separated for over a month now and hopefully someday they can get along!

Brenda B

Post   » Mon May 30, 2011 11:17 am

I have always had 3 pigs. Used to have 2 sows and 1 fixed boar. Now have 1 sow and 2 fixed boars.
I have noticed that although they all get along, one boar/sow combo out of each trio has been more bonded...

Feylin

Post   » Mon May 30, 2011 11:53 am

It COMPLETELY depends on personalities of the pigs.

I have 2 boars who went through adolescence together with 0 issues. They are snugly and bonded and loving.

There's another pair who tolerate one another, but don't fight.

And then there's the reason I have 2 separate cages. Oliver (who is so bonded to Henry in the first example) and CJ (who just tolerates Fred in the second) will kill one another on sight.

I have read about people here having to separate their sow and their boar! It will just depend on each pig.

Debs4Pigs

Post   » Mon May 30, 2011 2:17 pm

If you get a baby boar you should get an old male. I got a year old boy then three weeks later got a baby and they got along great. When he was a year old I got another baby boy and all three are the best buddies.

If you get a neutered boar with a female it doesn't matter.

dmppiggie

Post   » Mon May 30, 2011 2:17 pm

Ditto on personalities and space. My girls get along (and get along as in they will pretty much ignore each other unless one has something they want or they get scared), but when I first introduced Pennie to Dottie and Mollie, the small space and added pig caused Dottie and Mollie to fight. There wasn't any blood, but let me tell you--seeing your sweet girl fly at the other....literally fly...with teeth bared and front legs poised to scratch, is a scary picture.

I held off trying to introduce until after the bigger cage was made, and not only did it ease the conflict (again, Dottie and Mollie were already cage mates for about 3 months before this), but it also allowed Mollie to become a little more bold and friendly towards us.

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Mon May 30, 2011 2:33 pm

Yes, it definitely depends on personality and also space. I had a neutered male with two females, and they picked on him so much he just kept to himself and they would sometimes resource guard. It turns out he gets along well with two boars (one who has to be separate but next to them since he will attack the other boar on site to the point blood is drawn). Our boars Alistair and Phantom pretty much get along with anyone.

zazzified

Post   » Mon May 30, 2011 2:55 pm

My Jeeves has been with both, but I will say that when Jeeves picked out Stella (really! he did the picking!) the rescue said they had better luck matching boys with girls. I'm not opposed to either, because it's a personality thing.

But yes, if opposite sex, someone needs to be fixed before introduction. Some rescues will fix all potential adoptees so that's something to look into. Adopt from somewhere, don't buy, and don't forget to quarantine unless it's been done already at a rescue.
Last edited by zazzified on Mon May 30, 2011 2:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Mon May 30, 2011 2:56 pm

You'd have to neuter one if you want a female. It is best if boars are different ages due to dominance so you want to adopt an older male www.petfinder.com