CL guinea pig near Indianapolis, IN with medical issues

EARPS Indy
Supporter in '11

Post   » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:23 am

This kinda pisses me off. Would anyone be able to take this poor guy? I could pick up and provide the initial vet check.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/pet/2428992811.html

I have a male adult guinea pig to rehome. He has a milky eye from being poked in it and a sore on his back side. He had these problems when I got him and I haven't had a chance to find him a vet. He is mostly black with some brown. His name is Mocha Joe. Picture below is the only one I have. He will come with his cage and all items I have for him at the time of pickup. Since he needs a vet visit, he is FREE unless I deliver him to you. He used to love to cuddle but my kids have handled him so much he's not into being held as often or as long. He loves fruits and veggies. Contact me by email if you are interested or have any questions. Thanks!

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:29 am

The sore on his back looks like mites so I'm guessing his medical issues won't be too expensive. Sure hope someone can help him.

caruba
Supporter in '10

Post   » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:19 am

Wow, this is heartbreaking. That poor pig.

EARPS Indy
Supporter in '11

Post   » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:25 am

I responded to her ad yesterday asking a few questions about history, duration of illness, etc. I haven't heard back yet. Plainfield is only about 10-15 minutes away from me, so I am hopeing to hear back from her and be able to figure something out.

EARPS Indy
Supporter in '11

Post   » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:00 am

I just got the following response: :-(

You are the first one to ask about the guinea pig. I got him from someone who took him in after being abandoned around the Februaury. He had the medical issues before she had him. I'm not sure of his exact age but I know he is an adult. He has not been neutered and I don't know if he gets along with other piggies because I only have one. The lady that I got him from didn't not have any others either. Since he was dumped off at the pet store she works at, we know nothing about his history. He doesn't seem to like being handled for very long, expecially by my kids. I have been feeding him guinea pig pellet food from Petsmart and Walmart. He seems to prefer the Wild Harvest blend from Walmart with corn and sunflower seeds in it. I have also been giving him Timothy hay and some fruits and veggies like broccoli, oranges, apples, parsley, celery, and carrots. He seems to like broccoli, parsley, and carrots the best. So, in short I have only had him since February and I don't know any of his past including his age and temperment. Hope this helps!

So basically she is saying that this pig was abandoned by his previous owner and was taken in by someone who knows nothing about guinea pigs. Because of this he has been on a crap diet and has had potentially painful medical issues for at least the past five months. WOW!

caruba
Supporter in '10

Post   » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:18 am

Heartbreaking. Painful medical conditions plus being constantly handled.. ugh :(

amber-nicole88

Post   » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:57 pm

If someone can get him to me I will be more than happy to take him in & see that he gets all the vet care he needs. I recently started my own guinea pig rescue. It sounds like this little guy has been through enough. I wouldn't even think of rehoming him. He would be more than welcome to remain here as a sanctuary piggie. Please someone help get him here. I live in Knox, IN.

EARPS Indy
Supporter in '11

Post   » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:36 am

Knox, IN as in east of Greenfield, IN off 70?

I received pictures of the eye and wound on the hind end. I was hopeing that the "wound" was actually the scent gland, but no such luck. Owner stated that it is scabed over now but is still pussy. Just by looking at the picture, the eye doesn't look salvageable. I am very concerned that he may need to have it enucleated.

Owner also mentioned in the email tonight that she would like to have him rehomed in the next week or so because she is moving. I am working on a few leads I have developed locally through two rescues but both are full. I am absolutely sick to my stomach over this.

amber-nicole88

Post   » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:29 am

No, I live in the Knox that's in Starke County Indiana. It's about 2 hours east of Chicago & around 60-80 miles south of the MI/IN state line.

I would honestly love to have him if we can somehow get him here. I have an absolutely wonderful veterinarian who I would trust with my piggies absolutely any day. He's more concerned with the animals than money. My oldest piggie recently passed away & he did everything he could to save my Prince's life, but Prince passed away a week after surgery anyway. He just hugged me & said "no charge honey." He didn't charge for the surgery or anything. I am absolutely sure he would do everything he could for this piggie as well.

I would go get him myself but I'm the only one that does the rescue & I run it out of my own home. I can't leave it for very long. I am willing to take him in & give him a loving home no matter what his health status is. I just need someone to help get him here.

EARPS Indy
Supporter in '11

Post   » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:40 pm

Well, the story just gets worse. I probed further to try to get more history reguarding how this person ended up with the guinea pig.

I was looking for a guinea pig for my kids and I found him on CL. I felt sorry for him because he had been abandoned so I took him home to give him some loving. I planned on keeping him but my kids are not ready for a guinea pig. We are moving and I just don't have the time or money to help him. I feel like he is scared of them and I don't want him to get hurt or him to bite them. This is the only one I have had. I don't think they know anything about why he was dumped. She mentioned that when the store opened one morning, he was sitting outside the door in the snow. He had a broken cage and no water or food. The lady offered to take him home and take care of him until they found a home for him.

I think I am going to be getting some help with vet care locally from a veterinarian that does guinea pig rescue. I may be fostering him for the time being if she doesn't have a foster home available. I emailed the owner today letting her know that I can take him but am still waiting to hear back from her.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:52 pm

You have a generous heart, EARPS Indy. I hope the little guy gets the chance to become happy and healthy.

EARPS Indy
Supporter in '11

Post   » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:46 pm

Great news. I will be picking up this guinea pig the beginning of the week and working with a vet friend/guinea pig rescuer locally to get a treatment protocol, diet conversion, and socialization started. Since I'm a tech, I will be providing the initial TLC but won't be fostering him long term because I already have my handsful with the rats I recently adopted.