Favourite Foods

tashab

Post   » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:27 pm

Our girls get breakfast & dinner veggies but there are many people here who only do breakfast or only do dinner. I think most people do whatever suits their own schedules best.

goosey1019

Post   » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:38 pm

Yeah, because of work I only do veggies once a day (dinner). If I have time and the weather cooperates, I try to do some forages in the afternoon as well.

tiamo8cavy8

Post   » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:54 pm

My pigs HATE cherry tomatoes!

For fruits, Daisy and Maus both enjoy strawberries, mango, grapes (especially), apple, cantaloupe..there aren't very many fruits they don't enjoy. Watermelon and banana they don't really like.

Veggies are romaine lettuce, yellow pepper, celery, broccoli, snap/sugar peas...they don't always eat the veggie part of the cauliflower, sometimes only the leaves. They'll pretty much eat whatever. Haven't tried them with any spices/herbs, though.

Pigs recently have stopped liking red pepper. It gets forgotten in the feeding frenzy.

:)

HelloKitty

Post   » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:07 am

Daily Diet:
Romaine (duh)
carrots
celery
bell peppers (no specific colors)
cilantro
cucumbers
strawberries

When I can find it cheap enough:
Corn Husk
spinach
red cabbage
watermelon
parsley
grapes
apple
banana

Grass they are insane for!

Won't even touch:
Raspberries

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:57 am

Wheat grass is a favorite with my boars!

weggie

Post   » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:23 pm

What is best for putting weight back on them? Alfafa??

bethb

Post   » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:17 pm

Chloe Loves green leaf lettuce, celery, & broccolli stems....

So far no tomatos, strawberry,- or anything else I've tried. We will keep trying new things though...she's still young & new to our home.

Mapleowl18
Supporter in '11

Post   » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:24 pm

Bethb I'd ditch the broccoli stems. I'd use it as a very rare treat once a week treat, or leave it out all together.

"Avoid or use sparingly, cruciferous vegetables (cabbage, collards, bok choy, broccoli), as they may cause gas in your pet. "

https://www.guinealynx.info/diet.html

Cilantro my Robin Piggie loves cilantro. Also green leaf lettuce, and 1 baby carrot per pig a day.

FioritaEve44

Post   » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:02 pm

Our foster Cornelius LOVES watermelon rind. He was busy eatting broccoli when I put the watermelon rind in and he quickly ran, grabbed the rind and pulled it into his igloo. He obviosly also likes broccoli :-) he loves apples, cucumbers and he dislikes bananas.

zazzified

Post   » Sun May 01, 2011 1:13 am

My staples are red leaf, green leaf, green pepper, and cucumber. They love parsley but I don't buy it specifically for the pigs because Jeeves is a stone pig. They aren't really wild about other greens and I hesitate to push the issue with Jeeves' stone-brewing bladder when we're in a routine that is going ok for him. They LOVE bananas and get little bites when I have one. They can smell a peeled banana from across the room and squeal like there has never been anything more exciting in the world.

Tracey R

Post   » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:13 pm

Mine like banana SKINS.

JadeMagpie

Post   » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:36 pm

My pigs love green leaf lettuce, red pepper, and carrots.

Dandelion especially loves tomato, but burr won't touch the stuff.

They are NOT fans of the more bitter greens. Oh! And the both love Dandelion greens!