Favourite Foods

rosiea

Post   » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:16 pm

When I give them their daily greens, Fancy will pick through it and eat all the dandelion leaves and red lettuce first! Fast Feet is partial to clover. Neither of them like parsley or cilantro, which is a shame since I have so much of it right now! They both like the occasional carrot, but won't touch tomatoes at all! Fast Feet also *loves* apple peels, which he gets every few days. Fancy won't touch them! They are both sooo picky, and like different things. I can't wait until I can put them together so I don't have to sort things out before I feed them! Hehe.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:20 pm

Just a word of caution on the banana peels - an awful lot of pesticides are used for growing bananas.

DMac
Supporter in '10, '11, & '12

Post   » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:53 pm

Mine love #1-grass, #2=fennel bulb, #3=watermelon, #4-tomato. They won't touch a strawberry.

spedder

Post   » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:17 pm

Funniest thing ever--my babies love any and all greens. Romaine, swiss chard, collards, cilantro. Just love them, they're gone in 5 minutes or less.

The other day, my husband tried mustard greens. Put the greens in the bowl, and went about his business. When I walked by the cage, the greens were scattered about the cabin, and there were 4 very wheeky, angry piggies with accusatory looks on their faces. Too spicy! DH mixed them a very special apology salad.

The boy is the only one who will touch broccoli, Skins is very partial to purple grapes and watermelon for treats... they all have their own palates :)

Oh, and we do veggies am and pm, about 10 hours apart, give or take.

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:32 pm

Our love almost any green but their absolute top favorites seem to be cilantro, apple (treat), blueberries (Phantom especially, they used to be one our old girl SleighBelle's top favorites), cucumber, wheatgrass, Kleenmama pellets, red bell pepper. They devour all their vegetables though, so it's hard to say which ones are their most favorites, but the ones they get as treats or in smaller amounts such as cilantro, bell pepper, apple etcetera they seem to go especially crazy for.

Their favorite hay is timothy and they seem especially fond of third cutting (I get it when I can either through Kleenmama's or locally).

deniselovestocha

Post   » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:53 am

Nibbles likes Bell peppers, dandelion greens, Cilantro, apples, grass, Lettuce and cucumber

She wont touch parsley, Tomatoes, Oranges, watermelon or strawberries

Patrick likes bell peppers, Dandelion greens, oranges, watermelon, Parsley, Cucumber, grass, apples, Lettuce and Cilantro.

He wont touch tomatoes or strawberries

Mom2teens2cavys

Post   » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:42 am

Marcel loves Kale. Shadow loves just about everything we give him except tomato

Doodlebugnana

Post   » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:22 pm

Our Ozzie goes wild over carrots, cucumber, celery, broccoli and lettuce. He also enjoys various wild weeds when they are young, banana peels and apple skins. When we first got him, we did not know not to feed him very many carrots or broccoli and we had a lot extra in the frig, so he hate pretty much just those and fresh greens and grass from outside. He had 2 carrots and a piece of broccoli every day and never seemed to get gas. We of course have backed him off, now, but never worry about the exact amount either. At first, we were really confused that he would not touch any kind of nut...he hates them! He also dislikes fruit, most of the time, but occasionally gets a hankering for a little nectarine or peach. We hope to get him a playmate, soon, so it will be interesting to see how its tastes differ.[/i]

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:31 pm

Everyone here likes lettuce, radicchio, and endive. They all like parsley and cucumbers. The girls like baby carrots but Chip will take one bite and walk away.

THe girls like the dried and fresh corn husks and silk but Chip only likes it fresh.

THey all like strawberries.

Nobody likes squash.

When I trim brussel sprouts for the humans, I usually give them all a little taste. THey all love brussell sprouts in this house.

amanda1982

Post   » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:32 pm

My boys really enjoy spinach. Now that I cant get the bags of mixed greens anymore, they are out of season. But I havent seen alot of people mention spinach. Is it a not so healthy choice.

GuineaPiggin

Post   » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:47 pm

When we make boiled dinner, I give the boys one small, 1.5", strip of cabbage. They LOVE cabbage! My mom tried to give them each 1 leaf the other day, had to remind her that they only get a little bit every 6 mths or so.

We also like green peppers, carrots, red leaf lettuce, and cilantro.

Oliver will do just about anything for some friseé lettuce; Bubba will stand "on your brick" for red bell pepper; and Percy will let you pick him up and hold him without chattering if you have apple peel.

Then again, all three will do just about anything for some fresh apple peel, especially if it's fresh from the orchard apple peel!

lou1600

Post   » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:15 pm

Mine used to love the white bits and seeds from bell peppers. I can't imagine why. I realized this when I gave them some red pepper which still had a little bit of white bits/seeds attached.