My guinea pigs don't like us!

rshevin

Post   » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:18 pm

Oh they have threads here and there but nothing extensive. I never had anything good enough for a Chronicle or anything. His name is Piggy and he's the one from the SPCA that the employee told me was right for me. I love him to death.

Crazybouncycrls

Post   » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:26 pm

I have 4 boars.

1. Karl, my original boy, he LOOOOOVES me and will accuatly sit on my breast/chest area and watch tv and purrrrrr and put his nose on my chin and "kiss" me and rub on me!
2. Marilyn (boy, was named when he was thought to be a girl) he SCREAMS when I try to pick him up, brush him or even look at him wrong. Thought it was mites, treated the herd, nope just doesnt like being touched. He will tolerate me rubbing up his nose but nothing else.
3. Herbie, he is a baby 16 weeks old, just like Karl LOOOVES Scritches and to ride around in my sweatshirt pocket.
4. Achilles, a rescue from a classroom pet.... he was "played" with by a bunch of little kids :*(
He doesnt mind being held but dont make sudden movements or touch him with one finger, he thinks your poking him. When I try to pick him up out of the cage he does the defensive teeth chatter and hides. If I pick him up he screams but once I support him on my arm he is fine.

Like they all say every pig is different. I find that if I have all out at once they all get stand-off ish. But if I take one out at a time, give a treat, trim nails, give cuddles, kisses, a peice of lettuce and hold them close to my chest they relax and dont mind it. I spend 10-15 with each pig. They love it. They give eachother the "hahaha I got out of the cage, and she has lettuce and now you dont!" even though they all get it, it makes them feel special.

Good Luck

Fossil Barb

Post   » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:00 am

Mayo do your pigs get their hay on demand, a pellet bowl full of good pellets, high quality greens, a nice clean condo and comfy litter and hideys? And of course appropriate treats??
Then whats not to like about their slave!

Everyone is right that they all have their own personalities and quirks. HRH Rodney ran from the Hideous Hand with short stubby digits and until I had him snuggled firmly protested every more. When he had his fill of mushy stuff and treats then he'd nip my collar bone for pee time.

I think of piggies as being very private little souls who give what they can to those of us who love them.

amy m guinea

Post   » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:30 pm

I love to read about all the different personalities pigs have.

Francen runs from me with fear in his eyes like I am going to give him some real torture, he is so hard to catch. Once I get him, he calms down. After about 20 minutes of lap time, he is done with me, however.

Jenna, who I am "pigsitting" actually comes out of her hidey house to be picked up! And she was in a house where kids sometimes handled her roughly. They are just all so different.

Tristan, who is a foster, runs about frantically making funny grunting noises I've never heard any other pig make, but loves to be held.

Zack will let me pet him in his cage but backs up when I try to pick him up, but really loves to be held.

Fossil Barb, when you told how your pig nips your collar bone, it reminded me of how I always had red marks on my chest from Nevy. He loved to nip me to get his point across quickly.

Ryker

Post   » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:37 pm

We have two cavies, both female, mother and daughter. The two males died a few months back. The mother is an English and the father an Abby. I have found the English variety is mostly skittish, not wanting to be held. But when I do hold them they always seem to chuckle (purr), and they do enjoy being out.

Recently after the other male died, the youngest (who took on the Abby characteristics) started chirping. I would have sworn there was a bird in the house, and being we have several nests around the property, it wouldnt have been a surprise. Shes done this 3 times to my knowledge so far, waking me up in the middle of the night twice.

Both are shy and run away when I try to get them out, but eventually they stop and let me pick them up. Then they sit on my chest and talk as I pet them. I have owned Cavies since I was 5 yrs old (long time ago) and have even bred them. Even if they run away, I am sure they love attention. :)

ellissian

Post   » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:26 pm

Funny you should say that rshevin, cause I have two pigs that love their rump being stroked (must have strange pigs).

Kimmi used to shake when we took her out of her cage to pet her. Since she had her baby she loves getting snuggled on my knee in a fleece blanket, shes a big softy now.

Tilly is still very jumpy if takes ages to get her out of the cage, I dont think she likes humans much or other pigs for that matter.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:50 pm

All of my pigs have had such different personalities. Here's the breakdown:

Gilbert - was a happy lap pig, especially as he got older. He would call you and demand attention. He liked being petted, he liked chin rubs.

Sully - didn't like being petted so much because he was an abby, and I suspect when he was petted, it was about as comfortable as having someone rub a cowlick on your head the wrong way. He would let you pet the top of his head and behind his ears.

Henry - has become more comfortable with being held, but he is most comfortable if he has a towel or a blankie around him, especially while being carried. (I suspect he may have been dropped at some point.) He likes having his back petted when he's standing against the side of his cage with his front feet up on the grids.

Widgit - Isn't a huge fan of being held, but he will happily let you pet him on his own terms in the cage.

Frost - Is still a skidish baby. He likes the idea of attention - he runs up to you and calls out to you - but if you look like you're going to touch him, he runs.

Tom - The ultimate cuddle pig. When I'm lying on the sofa with him, he'll curl up on my shoulder and tuck his head under my chin.

Linus - Still going through the baby phase, but he's getting more hand-tame.

Sarah W

Post   » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:57 am

I have a pig named Truffles who is really timid. (I just posted some photos of her plotting an escape from my lap in my cavy chronicle). I got her as an adult and have had her for over a year. She shakes and poops when I pick her up, but is actually much better than she was at first. It helps if I hold one of my other pigs at the same time as her. Lately I have tried just putting her on my lap long enough to give her a treat, and then putting her back. That seems to be helping a little. Taking out the pigloos and hand feeding treats to the pigs while they are in their cage has also helped. They actually seem more comfortable and are more active without the pigloos.

toriandlukesmom2

Post   » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:11 am

I take out the pigloos during the day and put them back in the evening, as someone here suggested. It has worked out well for us.

patchsmummy

Post   » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:05 am

I'm glad that I'm not the only owner with a timid pig. I guess it is alot of observation and paitence, it took me 18 months before Patch decides that he want's his cuddles and I do take my time with him, he is not a lap pig, prefers my shoulder and neck. Also he loves to play with my hair, that relaxes him for some strange reason. The shaking and the nipping thing is his way of saying I need a pee. Ignore that and you get a long streams of guinea pig piddling all over you and your sofa, and boy does mine chuckles whilst he does this, and gives a weird look of "well I told you I needed a pee and you didnae listen, maw!"

I guess that bribery and corruption does work in both ways...

i__3myfatties

Post   » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:25 pm

thanks so much for posting this question. it is exactly what i needed to hear. my partner and i recently adopted a new piggie, Harry, for our lonely female piggie, Olive. Olive's former partner in crime, Popeye, passed away recently. Although we've had Olive for about a year and a half she is still skittish and gives us rare opportunities to scratch her head. Popeye on the other hand, didn't mind the touching as much. We are slowly learning Harry's likes and dislikes and look forward to seeing his relationship with Olive grow. =D

stevewasnik

Post   » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:43 pm

We are two adults (in our 30's) with a male guinea pig, about 3 yrs old (adopted from shelter). First of all, I don't think anyone under 18 should own a guinea pig, unless they have had tons of pet owning experience and handling. I'm always surprised when I hear it's a good first pet. No, fish are good first pets.

At any rate, our guinea pig runs away from us like we are his number one predator. You can't get near him unless you have a 6 inch carrot in hand. Even after 2+ years. The ironic part is that once we pick him up (by cornering him in his cage), he couldn't be happier. But only when you rub his lower back area (some reason he makes a satisfied squeaking sounds when you pet there).

So its true that most guinea pigs are scared of humans, it seems like they enjoy being petted...