My guinea pigs don't like us!

worldangel

Post   » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:54 pm

Sometimes the squeaking sound doesn't really mean they are happy. When they rumble it could also mean that they are scared or in pain...

stevewasnik

Post   » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:05 pm

I'm pretty sure it's a happy sound --- I've heard him squeel when the vet cut his nails a little too short, its not that. I've also heard the rumble sound when a dish clanks in the kitchen and he doesn't know what it is. This is a low volume, as I mentioned sort of satisfying mumbling type of sound. It's not really a "purr" per se like a cat would do, but it's probably close to that.

Besides, he drops his chin on my chest, and begins closing his eyes. I'm pretty sure he is in pig heaven!

Hunybee

Post   » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:11 pm

Sounds like a pancake to me, which is a good thing.

Most pigs don't like to be cornered and picked up. They are prey animals, so to them, anything bigger than them will eat them.

I've had my boy for 2 years and he still runs from me when I try to pick him up. Once I have him, he's perfectly happy. It's just the flight in the air that he doesn't like. My female would prefer that I not touch her, at all. I can pet her head, but anything more and she chatters at me, and it's angrily chattering.

worldangel

Post   » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:21 pm

That's great that he is so comfortable! :) My Coral also doesn't like to be cornered and brought out but once she is on a table, she will curl up and doze off, right in front of me.

What you can do is take a cozy sack, put some food in it and lure him into the sack then pick the cozy up. She will feel more comfortable as pigs don't really like human hands as ours are too bony for their liking.

rosiea

Post   » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:24 pm

Wow! I must have some very social piggies! Fast Feet is still kind of skittish, but he loves lap time (once he's in my lap), and Fancy scurries toward me every time I put my hands in. They also don't hide in their tubes/cubbies. They just use them to play with and run through. I guess I must have the weird ones of the bunch, hehe!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:07 am

We have 3 girls, Jessie who is nearly 5 and Jemma and Jasmine who will be one in July. Jessie has never liked cuddles and hates to be touched, even though she is syringe fed 6-8 times a day it seems when she is out she gets very stressed.
We have tried wrapped up, on a pillow, in a bed and nothing has worked. We love our girls especially Jessie but we feel the more we show her we love her the more stressed out she becomes.
All we can do is our best and try not to stress her out so much, Jemma and Jasmine hate being picked up but tolerate their cuddle time.
Jessie was cuddled as a baby and talked to and made a fuss off but she never really liked people. Now all we can do is give gentle cuddles and try not to stress her out. Wish things with Jessie had been different but she is our special girl and we wouldn't change a thing. Wishing you luck with your piggies.

dmppiggie

Post   » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:17 am

Only one of my girls will tolerate being picked up in their cage (and she will actually jump in your hand-don't ask how!), but the rest need to be cornered. I've found that putting a hand in front first, and then scooping them from behind helps because they will feel more like they are "walking" onto the platform of your hand and then the support of the back hand keeps hem from dangeling or feeling unsupported. A quick movement moves them to my shoulder/chest, and then I keep a hand supporting their backside (and another on their spine, depending on how they are "holding on") so they feel secure. I see a huge difference in how they react to me holding them vs my husband who can basically palm them and then will often balance them on his forearm/stomach. Either way, I don't think it's to be expected that guinea pigs will stay on your lap/be held for long periods of time like a dog or cat. Most of my girls will tolerate 15-20 mins if you provide veggies, scratches, and a soft bed/pillow/towel/lap to relax on!

stevewasnik

Post   » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:43 am

THats funny to hear other people's experiences with their piggies. I guess mine is in the middle of the spectrum in regards to hating people picking him up and approaching him, but loves being petted. In fact, he will sit in your lap forever if he had his way. Just last night he was as flat as pancake, both legs sticking out (bottom of feet facing up), eyes half closed... couldnt get enough of it!

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:23 pm

Most of ours have been surprisingly social, even two that the surrender form said really didn't like human contact, especially not being held. After a couple of days they were the exact opposite, giving "kisses" on our face and lips, and squeaking very happily when petted, they were two of our sweetest and most outgoing cavies.

When we first got Mocha, as a friend for Cinnabun, she actually liked being held by people, but once she bonded to Cinnabun she didn't much care for being held anymore and became a little anti social, so we just started respecting that fact and only took her out for floor time, hair/nail trims, weighing, and of course vet checks.

James is another one, he's extremely skittish and shivers when being held. What's odd though is he'll make happy squeaks but then he'll shiver like he's scared. We always have to cover him up with a peice of fleece or a soft towel to make him feel more secure. We've had him for a bout a year and a half now and really tried to desensitize him, but he's still really spooky. He's gotten way better about interacting with us in his "safe zone" (in the cage) though, he comes up and begs just as much as the others.

Our others are pretty human social (especially Cinnabun), but Alistair is definitely a "daddy's boy". Only one generally gives kisses (Cinnabun), though occasionally Phantom will too. Phantom has gotten to the point where I can reach in and pet his head poof or behind his ears; Alistair sometimes likes having his crest scritched inside the cage, especially by my fiance.

Feylin

Post   » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:52 pm

Woah! Thread whiplash!

SkittleandTwix
Supporter in '11

Post   » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:28 pm

We couldn't decide whether to name our guinea pig Skittish or Skedaddle, so she became Skittle.

Even after 3 years, Skittle does not like to be picked up. She is, however, very curious. She'll walk over to see what I am up to, even if she is outside the cage, but she'll take off if it looks like I am going to pick her up She'll tolerate lap time for about 15 minutes, then she tugs at my shirt to tell me it is time for her to go back. Her old cage mate, Ginger (RIP), was even more shy and used to carry her pigloo around like a turtle shell. Skittle's new roomate Twix is more tolerant of lap time, but he doesn't much care to be picked up either. He squeals loudly from the time I touch him until the time he is settled on my lap. He even squeals if he sees me pick up Skittle. However, he will eventually lay down and get comfy on my lap. Skittle usually looks very alert and not as relaxed on my lap.

When they are out of their cage, I often sit on the floor with a piece of lettuce. They will come to me, eat the lettuce out of my hand and even crawl onto my lap to get it. Since they are free ranged, I often just coax them out of their cage with lettuce and let them climb onto my lap. However, as soon as the food is gone, they head back home.

Funny too - Skittle will avoid urinating on my lap, so she'll tug at my shirt when she needs to "go". If I put her on the floor, she'll run back to her cage and pee as soon as she crosses the threshold. Twix isn't so fussy about that!

I am trying to pick them up a little more often now and get them used to lap time.

Brainerror

Post   » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:59 am

I have one that now after 1,5 years still doesn't like to be held. I get 2 minutes laptime tops before she wants off and back into the cage. I do know she"cares" for me tjough, but only see it when we're at the vet and she scared then suddenly it's all 'mommy hold me please!' ;)