Gracie - Very Sore Eye

Bugs Mom

Post   » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:47 pm

What a relief that Gracie is getting better. Keep it up little girl.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:21 am

Good for Gracie - glad it's working. :·)

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:24 am

Yay for Gracie feeling better! She is such a lovely girl. :)

Trick

Post   » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:18 am

Gracie is holding her eye open most of the time now which is great and she's started getting stroppy about the eye drops which is nice to see oddly enough!

The back corner of her eye looks quite red now but I am guessing that is the blood vessels doing their healing work as the vet said.

As ever, she is being watched very closely!

I lifted her out for one of her eye drops yesterday at the same time Rosie got her normal meds and neither were terribly impressed - "what is SHE doing here?!" they both demanded. Divas, heh.

Trick

Post   » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:11 pm

Gracie's eye again is much better than that picture there, there is a patch now about a quarter size of what it was in the last photo and it is red rather than white which I assume are the blood vessels doing their healing work.

The two weeks of eyedrops were up and her eye wasn't back to normal so we phoned the vet for advice - she advised to keep her on the eyedrops for one more week and then bring her back in if her eye still wasn't healed up. It's coming up to the end of that week now.

Should we be trying a different eye drop now or should we just keep at it with this one and accept it is just taking a bit longer than expected to heal?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:37 pm

If it were me I'd keep her on the tiacin for a while longer and accept that this may be taking a bit longer than expected to heal.

If you're not using an ointment (Terramycin is one in the US) in conjunction with the drops, that might be an option. She's doing well, albeit slowly, so I'd hesitate to start messing around with changing the drops.

If you do go with a BNP or Terramycin-type ointment to supplement the drops, use it very sparingly. It has one of the toxic AB's in it and you want her to ingest very, very little as she cleans and grooms herself.

Trick

Post   » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:29 am

Thanks Talishan, I think I'll keep her on just the eyedrops for now and keep monitoring her eye. If at any point it seems to stall in the healing process I'll look up what the UK ointment is and get her some of that.

Trick

Post   » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:50 am

So for the first time in a long time Gracie visited the vet today.

Suspected ovarian cysts, symptoms: prolonged heat/estrus, enlarged nipples, flared vulva.

Diagnosis: ovaries are tiny, nothing could be felt on them by physical examination, most unlike my other cystic ovarian girls.

Treatment: first hCG injection has been given, will follow up with a full course if necessary.

Gracie gets so stressed at the vets, she plays dead the entire time and would lay on her back or side if you placed her so - it scares me so much every time! Very glad to have her back home again and back to her normal ninja pig ways.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:47 am

I don't think the ovaries are necessarily easy to locate and feel. Sorry this is hard on Gracie. She's our gal!

Trick

Post   » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:38 pm

I think ovaries are astonishingly tiny on a piggie, I got to palpate Brie's regular ovary last time and was amazed! I did a little happy dance that Gracie's were normal compared to the rest of the herd - I know ovarian cysts are common but 4 out of 5 sows is pretty harsh.

She's recovered fine back at home now, giving me the stinkeye but that's quite normal for her! :)

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:27 pm

Poor traumatized Gracie, playing dead is scary to watch.
Beibei was like that the first time I took her in for "possible cysts ultrasound". When they were shaving her belly, I thought she had a stroke and froze!

Stinkeye away little girl, you have been through much humiliation today.

Trick

Post   » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:24 am

On Friday we noticed that Gracie had a bad limp in her front leg. She sprained one of her back legs a few months ago so we figured it was probably the same again - however, it looks a lot more serious.

I'm just about to go pick her up from the vet and see what he says, but apparently her x-rays showed no abnormality. A physical examination at the weekend though showed that she has less muscle on her affected leg than on her non-sore leg.

She is reluctant to put weight on the leg though will do so in order to clean or itch herself etc. When eating pellets she tries to stand up for a while but eventually has to lay down on her pudge. We've put lots of food on the ground for her (hay is always on the ground too) which she appreciates. She is keen to move around at veggie time but spends much of her other time having to lay down.

She had also lost weight - her appetite is fine but I think she is finding it harder to get up and get food when she wants to. We've been giving her a little critical care to maintain her weight - she eats it off a spoon and thinks it is wonderful. She is currently just under 2lb 7oz compared to her usual 2lb 10-11oz. Still a big girl.

She's always had a problem with a messy bottom (she likes to sit in pee, argh) but of course it's gotten worse recently and I guess that ties in to this leg problem perhaps being more long term - I'm sure she was hiding it very well :/

With the x-ray showing nothing major, but her leg obviously being quite sore (though not to touch as far as I can tell), is it likely to then be arthritis? She is 5 years old.

If arthritis is it then a case of pain management?