Things That Go Wheek In the Night: C M'S Picture Chronicle

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:48 pm

Thank you GP_mum. She's our cute "little" fatty (hopefully the baby will help with that, she seems quite active). I am usually so good about finding the slightest little thing they could get into and animal-proof the area based on that (I get on my hands and knees and stomach, and look around at their level) and somehow I missed the gaps.

Luna is a good girl, very gentle. The worse she's ever done is mounted SleighBelle when she (Luna) was in heat, but she rarely ever did that, and stopped when SleighBelle rumbled at her and shook her butt. She is very curious about the baby though and is following her all over, but the baby seems to be handling that well.

My fiance named the baby Lux (no offense Lisa, he wanted a theme to go with Luna's name), which translates from Latin to English as "Light".

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:50 am

Love the name Lux! It's also an indicator of the strength of light.

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:41 am

I did not know that last part, thanks Pigjes. I will get some newer pictures of the baby Lux to put up here later, or a video. I really want to get a video of her doing her zoomies around the cage or popcorning around, but she tends to stop and eat.burrow in hay or go in the chube when I get the camera out to start filming.

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 am

Lux is really learning how to wheek up a storm now (I'll see if I can get a sound bite with my little MP3 player; my fiance's digital camera doesn't record sound, never has). She is surprisingly loud for a baby.

"Better reach as far as I can, the best hay strands are always the farthest away."

"Um, Phantom? What happened to all the hay that was here?"

Luna lips!

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:16 am

Lux looks like she's going to follow in Luna's footsteps and grow up to be a lovely big pig to cuddle up to. Kisses to your long haired piggy and Phantom (my Snowy also has black eye shadow over 1 of her eyes so I have a soft spot for pigs with mask or eye shawdowing).

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:40 am

Snowy sounds adorable; I also love it when they have an eye patch or two. Magellan our former (he's crossed the bridge) special needs elderly boy also had a patch over one eye, but it was solid unlike Phantom's agouti eye shadowing.

The long haired boy is Alistair, also known as "The Beard" or sometimes just "Beard" (an affectionate nickname, we love "beards" and "mops"). Sometimes I think we call him "Beard" more than Alistair, but he really responds well to it for some reason.

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:55 pm

I wish I could be posting an update to this chronicle under happier circumstances. Phantom took a fall as I was spot cleaning his cage (I tried to catch him and was literally right there when it happened); he's always so good about staying at the back of the cage and just chilling, I have no idea what possessed him to go near the edge. So now I'll be removing them just for basic spot cleanings, since they obviously can't be trusted.

Thank fully the fall wasn't very high (I won't keep cages higher than the third one, I'm too paranoid), and he didn't break anything, but he did manage to pull a ligament. Now he's in a special bandage to keep his leg straight for a good 4 - 6 weeks. He has a recheck in a week to see how things are going. Poor little man hates the bandage, but he loves metacam and is getting a little spoiled with pellet mash (gave him mash to make him feel a bit better and less exerting energy). I am to remove the bandage/wrap twice a day to check and make sure there is no swelling, loss of circulation, etcetera.

No pictures right now of his manly bandage (it's blue camo print, how cute is that), sorry. He's been so stressed out today I don't want to harass him anymore than I have to. I'm starting to wish I wouldn't have even opened his cage at all when I did, or at least that I would have pulled him out (would have had to put him in the tub though since there was no one free to hold him, so I figured it would be less stressful to spot clean with them in the cage, like I've always done without issue). I'm so stressed right now. Hopefully it heals fine, the veterinarian said with injuries like that on any animal there's always a small chance the bone ligament will grow back in a fuse and make it really stiff for walking on. Sigh, I feel like such a bad pet parent sometimes, it seems I can't do anything right sometimes.

clairey

Post   » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:56 pm

Don't beat yourself up. I imagine you've done the same thing countless times and it's never even been nearly an issue. He won't get the chance to do that again, the silly boy.

I really would like to see his manly bandage.

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:56 pm

I see about getting a picture of his bandage (geeze, almost typed "bondage", whoops; although that mental image is hilarious) when I take him out to check the foot. I've always spot cleaned with them in the cage without issue (I don't do full cage changes with them in there though since I have to take the entire front off of the cage). Phantom has also always been very good about just chilling at the back when I spot clean.

He hasn't moved from his spot and isn't very enthusiastic about getting up to eat/drink unless I have veggies (then he's standing up for them). I REALLY hope I don't have to hand feed him, especially the whole time or longer than a few days, because I know he's going to hate it, and frankly I hate doing it because they are so miserable when it's being done and a little while after.

I need all your meditations/prayers/etc that Phantom's leg doesn't heal stiff but heals correctly. I don't know if any of that works or not, but I figure it can't hurt to try and request it.

akintolife

Post   » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:24 pm

Like Clarirey said, don't beat yourself up. Accidents happen to all of us - and I'm sure a lot of people here can tell you about something similar happening. When I had my girls I would let them out on my bed and even with me sitting on the same bed Dipti got so excited one day that she popcorned off the edge of my bed. I was terrified, but everything turned out okay.

My thoughts go out to you and Phantom and I hope he has a speedy recovery. His bandage however, sounds very manly (and cute) and I'm sure that in no time he will be telling Alistair about his 'war' wound.

tashab

Post   » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:00 pm

I hope he feels better quickly. You shouldn't beat yourself up over this - we've all had scares where our fuzzbuckets do the unexpected and catch us off-guard. It's how they make sure we're still being good slaves. After all, it's just a good excuse to be catered to even more!

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:10 pm

Sorry to hear about Phantom - yup, they do tend to do the unexpected. Sending healing and positive vibes that he heals quickly and with no issues.