What is this!?

luv_my_guinea_pigz

Post   » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:22 pm

Thanks All,

I went to three pharmacies yesterday and they did not have them even showed them a picture!

I have been looking for these syringes for around 8 years in Australia and no luck.

I shall order them from overseas. Thanks Talishan for the GOT IT website but when I clicked buy now it went straight to Amazon.com. :( for $5.60 each!

Would happily pay someone to send me a couple :)

I am heading to the vet tomorrow morning, they should have some I hope! My other exotics vet didn't.

Alice is doing okay, the hole keeps scabbing over. I try to pull it apart again and soak it in water but it just forms a scab within half an hour.

Shall come back with what the vet says.

Thanks Lynx for helping with the pictures, shall take some more shots tonight of what it looks like.

You have all been wonderful- Thank you for your comments. :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:04 pm

That is discouraging that they come from Amazon. They originally looked so cheap! Shipping is expensive (and would bump up the cost to you significantly - perhaps as much as the Amazon price).

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:43 pm

Oh jeez, I've got an entire box of them. Send me your snail mail address through the mailer if you want me to try to send you a couple. I don't know how long it will take them to get there, though.

luv_my_guinea_pigz

Post   » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 am

Oh thank you Talishan!! I shall msg you shortly, I can pay through pay pal if that's easiest for you :)

I saw the vet - She was okay not my regular vet.
The hole is situated near the bone, and it is VERY deep. She opened it up and flushed it (she didn't have any curved tipped syringes either >.<) But the saline solution didn't come back up? It just stayed in the hole...

She stopped flushing and prescribed 0.5ml Flagyl once a day. She said I should just try keep the hole open, don't flush it with betadine as it might stop it from healing as quickly.

She said that the hole was quite odd as it was so deep. She thinks it could of been an abscess which went really deep as it was "eating" down into the tissue. When I started the baytril for Alice's bumblefoot she thinks it it may have started fighting the infection and then it burst.

Would it be worth taking her to my regular exotics vet and getting her to look at this as well? Or should I just do my best do keep it clean and open until next week?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:00 am

"Would it be worth taking her to my regular exotics vet and getting her to look at this as well?"

In my opinion, yes. It will be an additional charge of course but since this vet was not familiar with this type of problem, if it were me I'd want to see my regular vet for a second (and more familiar) opinion. Betadine in my experience is exactly what you DO want to use for a wound granulating from the inside out. The vet may be thinking of peroxide, which will kill off healthy tissue and which you would not want to use in a hole.

PM me your address. I looked on the USPS web site and international first class is not that expensive. Any of the express or traceable services are, though. I just don't want it to take six months to get to you. If we do an express or traceable, we can split the $ (and you take her to your regular vet with the rest, how's that? ;-)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:00 am

I am surprised none of the flushable saline came out. I can't imagine where it would go. Warm sterile saline solution (available at a human pharmacy) should work well when you get the syringes.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:01 pm

I really hate to let you down, but when I went to the mailboxes place this afternoon I nearly passed out.

UPS: US $89 and it wouldn't get there until the 13th.

USPS expedited international: US $47 or something and it still wouldn't get there until next week.

DHL: they didn't know and said the owner of the place would call and call me back. I doubt they'll be able to get it to you in a reasonable period of time, though.

USPS International first class: US $4 and Lord only knows when it gets there, by October maybe and no way to trace it.

I'll send you an email but please see about the ones off Amazon. The money doesn't bother me so much as the time. Alice's hole will be completely closed over by the 13th. I'm hopeful Amazon (or somebody) can get them to you quicker.

Better yet, how's this?

http://www.midwifeshopaustralia.com/ken ... 50-per-box

I'll split the cost with you (if you can take Paypal). You don't need 50 of them, but then you can send them to others in Australia if you are willing to do so. What do you think?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:06 pm

Yes, shipping to Australia is a killer. I recently sent a book First Class International. Hope it gets there in a timely manner!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:12 pm

I didn't send them, Lynx. I had three packaged up but when they told me that I just took the package back and left.

I_luv -- I can take it back and send it, we can hope for the best. I just don't think it'll get there until well and long after it could help Alice.

luv_my_guinea_pigz

Post   » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:59 pm

I think I have come up with an interim solution - I have found a cannula syringe!

Iv'e taken some updated pics of my whole flushing process (a bit smaller for you this time lynx!) and also pics of the cannula syringe.

I think i'll still get the curved ones ordered - no need to pay half talishan :) You have been an amazing help and I appreciate your efforts SO much!! I think the cannula syringe is working well at the moment and it is getting the flushing solution right in the hole and pus is being flushed out.

I also saw my regular vet and feel so much more confident about Alice's condition and on going treatment.

This is the cannula syringe heads pictured below. They clip onto the 1ml syringe and the end is a very tiny tube. Not sure if any one has used these before?

More pictures the heads are on the 1ml syringe:

My vet gave me the below solution which I dilute with water to flush the wound:

She also said to use some Metacam because Alice is exhibiting some pain when I do touch the area (maybe it is an abscess? )

And Flagyl is to be continued twice daily for 14 days.

This is the scabbed over wound/hole: The vet shaved the area so I can see how it it going. I think it looks much smaller and less red.

Started to flush and pus is coming out:

This is the hole after flushing - There was pus really deep down;

This is Alice :)

Before and after shots of the hole:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

luv_my_guinea_pigz

Post   » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:00 pm

Argh I don't know how to flip them the right way up! I've tried rotating in photo bucket but it won't fix itself so you may have to turn your head sideways!

Sorry all :(

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:20 pm

Glad to hear you've worked out a way to flush it! Since you are seeing pus, you can see how important it is to do this.