My little herd of four!

glade
Even Republicans Give!

Post   » Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:24 pm

I've been on this board now for about a month, and figured its about time I wrote my story down.
I am active duty Marine Corps, and due to travel and deployments, I went for years without having guinea pigs, after growing up with them for the first 25 years of my life.
Well, right after 9/11 I recieved non-deployable orders to pensacola for four years. While I was packing to make the move from NC to FL, my sister in Rhode Island called me up, and asked me to take in her boar Baxter. Her new husband was severely alergic, and she knew I would take good care of him. Before I knew it I was driving making the trip from RI to FL with Baxter on the seat next to me...by the time we got to my new home, I was already in love with him.
After a few months, I had aquired an abused, 8 year old Cair Terrier and an abandoned little sow (Brianna) from the animal shelter. Baxter(neutered) and Brianna got along great and were my little 'lovebirds' until Baxter had to be put to sleep due to an inoperable brain tumor...
I didn't want to bring another guinea pig into a home when I don't know what my military future holds, but Bri was so sad....and a few weeks later, my vet office called that they had a little boar who had been dropped off to be be 'put to sleep' (it was a starter pet that the family said they were done with now that they got a dog!!). So I did what I had to do..took him in, named him Brian, and caged him next to Brianna. I scheduled him to be neutered, but before the appointment I was in an accident and hospitalized for a while. My friend babysitting my guineas for some reason put them together "only for a few minutes during floor time" but you can all guess what happened. I was miserable with worry for my two year old Brianna, and guilty as heck, but thank god she made it through a horrible delivery and so now I have Brianna, Brian(now neutered) and two beautiful baby girls that I can't decide on names for yet!!
Being Thirty and single with no kids, my herd (and my dog Clover, of course) are the center of my life! And unbelievably spoiled!

Teresa

Post   » Fri Aug 08, 2003 7:42 pm

Thanks for sharing. Great story.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:32 pm

I'm so glad you have a happy bunch of pigs. 25 years with guinea pigs is a long time. You sound like you care about them a great deal. They are lucky to have you.

LindaAura

Post   » Sat Nov 01, 2003 9:54 pm

That is so sweet!!

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:21 pm

glade, what a great story. If you have any, you should post pictures of your "first 25 years of guinea pigs" here

Check out swannie with her two guys. Really cute!