Tallulah's Medical thread

LandosMomma

Post   » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:38 pm

Uh-oh Granny. We could feel babies moving at around 4 weeks before delivery. I would caution against taking her on that long of a trip if she is pregnant. The stress of the trip could cause premature labor, I think. I hope she isn't pregnant!

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:23 pm

Thanks Lynx, that was what I checked as soon as I suspected.

Well...there's definitely babies in there, they move and I felt little feetsies, do they make noise? Like feetsies on the momma clicky noises? I heard somenoises like clicking that coincided with the moving.

When I first got her.

Tonight.

It's hard to tell because of her tufts but from one tuft to the other that's how big she is, and of course she's hanging low poor baby. My poor Llulah! She's so little. Is there anything special I should be doing for her? Special foods? Cage considerations? Anything?? I can't believe this, if I knew who had her and dumped her I would hit them with a brick, she's just a baby herself!

I guess my visit home will have to wait, I don't want to risk Tallulah and I won't leave her with someone for her to have the babies without me around to freak out haha.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:52 pm

She is such a sweetie - and such wild hair! I hope all goes well for her despite her young age. I seem to remember someone talking about a clicky noise like that.

LandosMomma

Post   » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:51 pm

Soon before birth we could hear them chittering their teeth in there.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:20 pm

I have no experience with this but from what I have read here, ditto Landos -- they rattle their teeth in there.

Special foods: calcium. Give her some Oxbow or KM alfalfa-based pellets if you are not already doing so. See if you can get her a little alfalfa hay as well.

Babyproof the cage ASAP -- you don't know when they'll arrive.

If she doesn't have a pigloo or hide box now, give her one. She'll appreciate the privacy.

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:53 am

Ok..the teeth thing...That's pretty creepy! She's still so little I find it hard to believe there's more than one in there, but I guess we'll see.

She and her sisters are on Cavy Performance already because they're still babies themselves. I'll pick up some alalfa hay as well. I'll babyproof the cage this afternoon when I get back from class and I'll put her little hut back in there too.

I think I remember someone (maybe seraphnjil?) saying that one of her pigs was stunted because she was pregnant at a young age, she's maybe 3 months old I'd guess.

Does she have to be seperated from her sisters? Some places are saying yes, but I'd like to avoid that because they're very dependant on each other.

I'm so glad to have this resource here, thanks guys.

LandosMomma

Post   » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:38 am

Aunties can be a great help when momma has the babies. If they are not fighting, I wouldn't take her out. They often can help clean babies as mom is having them. Teela was only 6 weeks old when she got pregnant and she was not stunted at all. I do knwo that can happen. I think as long as you have proper nutrition for her afterwards, you should be fine.

This site has some of the most comprehensive and wonderful information on pregnancy that isn't from the standpoint of a breeder. I think by using this info little Tallulah and her babies will be just fine.

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:31 pm

Oh yea, they never, ever fight, the closest they get is when one of them tries to share with Tallulah and she starts squealing until they get fed up and leave.

I'm super nervous about this, I've never had a pregnant animal before, I was so hoping I'd get insanely lucky and rescue 3 pigs with no pregnancies, I lucked out with 2 but poor Tallulah got the short end of the stick it seems.

I'm really hoping everything goes well because I'm gone for most of the day, every day. After classes and my research participation today I'm going to go out and get some alfalfa hay and some of her favorite veggies. Than babyproof the cage.

If she could wait until the weekend to have babies that'd be great haha.

I'm going to call the 2 cavy savvy vets today and give them a heads up, but I hope I don't need them!

LandosMomma

Post   » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:01 pm

Are you going to keep everyone you think? Younger pigs tend to have smaller litters with the first pregnancy. That isn't always the case though. I am glad she is there with you. I see you are going home to PA in August, if you need some help, we can meet up and take in some babies if needed.

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:51 pm

There are too many variables right now for me to make a decision. I know that it's very likely I cannot keep them, however, I have a friend who is interested in them, but of course that depends on number and sex. I appreciate the offer, and I will definitely take you up on it if things don't work out with my friend down here.

Wish me luck, I'm about to start baby proofing the cage!

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:41 pm

I'm weaving cardboard in between the bars, carboard does not really like to weave, I had to take a break, but the whole back of the cage is done, and Tallulah's hut is back in. The silly little piggies are making my job difficult! They keep popcorning and careening into my arms as I attempt to weave the cardboard haha.

Tallulah is still acting totally normal, leaping about and stuff, mowing down the hay, and squealing at her sisters (and me) when we dare to do something that displeases her!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:41 am

You're doing everything right. Hang in!