Pantufinha's Medical Thread

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:20 am

I am so sorry she is having these problems. Ditto Cinnabuns mom in trying to get some food in her (I know you are trying the best you can and know how important it is).

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:33 am

Sending hugs and prayers and hoping she will improve real soon and good luck with the X-rays. Try blending some of her favourite foods and add this to the stuff you are hand feeding her. Please keep us posted.

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:46 am

Thank you Cinnabuns mom, Lynx and daisymay. I'm SO sad about it.

I'm at home taking care of her, trying to make she eat, as much as I can. She is not cooperative, and it's hard to even give her 1 or 2 syringes of food. How much should I force her to eat at a time?

I'm using a mash made of KM pellets and baby food (the only one I could found without meat is an apple one).

At least I saw her pooping yesterday night and today she showed interest in veggies - but she really can't grab it. My poor girl.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:47 am

Try cutting veggies up small and popping into her mouth and see if she can eat this way. As to force feeding I would give a couple and then cuddle her and comfort her and then try again. Weigh her and keep watch on the weight and try to get some water into her as well.
Sometimes I get a pumkin and steam some and add this to the Critical care, you may wish to try this or blended veggies. sending you both hugs and healing vibes.
Sometimes when Jessie doesn't want to eat I get Jemma or Jasmine and offer them some Critical care this works and makes Jessie want some.
Will keep you in my prayers, if it wasn't for the prayers don't know where I would be with the roller coaster journey Jessie and us have been on.
You may also want to massage her tummy to help with the pooping.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:34 pm

Daisymay is a hand feeding expert :-)

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:51 pm

Sending good vibes Pantufinha's way!!!!

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:18 pm

Thank you for all the help and thoughts, it means a lot.

Pantufinha is still loosing weight. I'm so worried. I think there's a problem with the molars, because when she finally take a veggie, she acts like there's something stuck inside her mouth.

I gave her:
- Plain pellets mash
- Pellets + baby food mash
- Pellets + pumpkin puree
- Water + vitamin C

It's hard.
But my MIL brings some grass and she could eat a little. I filmed her, you can see the way she chews.

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:03 pm

Poor little Pantufinha! I'll also be thinking of her and hoping things get sorted out so she can get back to her normal self.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:13 pm

Pantufinha is trying so hard. She is such a sweet girl. Do any of your vets have one of those little flexible cameras that they could take a good look at the teeth and throat?

I so hope she starts eating better (that grass looked very good).

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:46 pm

Tomorrow is Thursday. Please let us know how she's doing. My gut hunch is that x-rays will show a dental problem your vet did not see on otoscope.

winniewai

Post   » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:46 am

I'm sorry Regiane...
I understand u must so worry now, I dun wanna scare u but I really think there's sth wrong of the molars...
I hope she's fine, but it should Hv some problems for the weight dropping, keep feeding her critical care, prevent to lose weight seriously, how's her appetite? Is she low spirit n juz sitting at the corner?
N plz ask the vet to c the molar by a camera, Im not sure is it need anesthesia, becoz last time two vets used the otoscope, both of them thought Shui Jai's molars was fine, but finally after a full checking under anesthesia, the vet found there is the overgrown molars by putting the camera in his month, n the vet fixed it immediately

Regiane, I will pray for u n Pantufinha, cheer up!! The trouble will soon be over!!

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:25 am

Thank you all.

Pantufinha is showing more interest in food. Today she was trying to eat pellets by herself and I could see she could take a bit. I picked her to handfed and give some grass. She ate a bit of the grass by helself, and I gave her one syringe of pellets + pumpkin puree. Her weight: 1060g.

I'll take her to the vet this afternoon, I just need to wait for my husband to take us there. Now, if it's molars, the vet will need to trim it under anestesia, right?

I've read again and again the malocclusion page. If it's it, she will be sedated with isofluorane and then the vet will trim the teeth, but just a bit, right? She'll have to take antibiotics? Or just pain killers? Sorry for all the questions, mut I'm feeling lost.