Tallulah's Medical thread

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:38 pm

Thanks Talishan!

I just got back from class and Tallulah is acting funny. She was in her hut when I went to look in at her and she was just sitting there, she didn't react to me at all (she always runs) she didn't even react until I lifted the lid and stuck my hand in to pat her, it was like looking into a doll's eyes, nobody home. I patted her a bit and than she went to her sack and when I peered in at her, her legs were stretched back like she just didn't pull them in, and she was a lot quieter today than usual.

I'm freaking out about every little thing I'm sure.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:48 pm

No, you're not. That doesn't sound normal to me, but we haven't (yet) had a pregnant cavy in the house. Do you have a cavy-knowledgeable vet and how far away is s/he?

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:22 am

There are 2 vets in the area and I'm seriously contemplating taking her to the pricier more well equipped one (not her usual vet) to get her checked over and maybe find out how many babies. She's acting normal now, being her usual stupid self jumping off of stuff and being a weirdo. I'm keeping a close eye on her, I actually think she was sleeping when I saw her, just had her eyes open, which it usual for her, and the sack thing, she could have gotten stuck either on her belly or because Twister was already in the sack and refusing to move. However, because I'm so nervous about her I'm having a friend start coming in twice a day while I'm in class for the next week to check on her since I'm gone from 930 to 330 at least until my afternoon class ends next week.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:50 am

If she's normal now, I'd be hesitant to transport her to the vet and stress her by the visit if it's not clearly medically necessary. Having a friend look in on her is an *excellent* idea, though.

You might just want to call the pricey vet and see what they say.

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:15 pm

They said to keep an eye on her.

I felt the babies again today, there was movement in multiple places, so likely more than the one I was hoping for is in there. My poor Tallulah.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:27 pm

I hope all goes well.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:37 pm

" ... so likely more than the one I was hoping for ... "

This is actually good news. A very young sow will sometimes (often?) have one *huge* baby that is difficult to deliver and a strain on her system, which isn't even fully developed yet herself.

Two or three pups would actually be easier on her. They may be small. Read some of the threads here about helping out small neonates -- but don't freak. You may not have to do that.

The time Tallulah has spent in your house with good care has prepared her far better than anything else could have for a smooth delivery and healthy pups.

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:16 am

Thanks Lynx!

Talishan, I hadn't really thought of that, anything that will make this easier on Tallulah is fine with me.

I'm going to pick up some Critical Care just to be on the safe side, can it be placed in the freezer so it'll keep for awhile?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:09 am

If it is not opened, it should be fine at room temperature. If it would be used in a reasonable amount of time (say 3 or 4 months), how about the refrigerator instead if you want to protect it a bit more? I am unsure but seem to recall something about fat content and perhaps other qualities of foods in general sometimes changing due to freezing (though I have frozen CC myself).

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:09 pm

Fridge would work too, I just thought I'd read somewhere on here about freezing. I doubt it would be used within 3-4 month *knock on wood*

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:25 pm

We keep ours in the fridge and some extra in the freezer.

You can keep it almost indefinitely -- it doesn't rot or anything if sealed. The vitamin C can lose potency, though. If you use it more than about 9 months after purchase, just add some extra C to the Critical Care or to the ill pig's diet.

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:42 pm

Great! I hate to waste things like that, so I'm glad it'll keep for a looong time! Everyone is doing well, I think 2 babies are in there, Tallulah is still leaping about all over the place, and she's eating like a horse, right now she seems to prefer her pellets to fresh veggies, they got pellets and veggies at the same time tonight and she went for the pellets instead of the veggies. Anything to be concerned about?

Also, I assume it's not safe to clip her nails? Her nails are looking crazy but I don't want to upset anything.