Suggestion to keep pigs cool if no airconditioning

Ledasmom

Post   » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:32 pm

After thinking it over for a bit, I made each of my guys a one-and-a-half-grid-long mezzanine level (halfway between the floor and the ceiling), with the other half of the second grid bent down to form a support on the end. These are in two corners of their cage. I floored them with leftover coroplast with towels on top, covered with a piece of fleece that's big enough to cover the short side that's not attached to the cage wall, as well as hanging down an inch or so on the other side. I then stuck a frozen two-liter bottle next to the bent-down part. I hope that's clear; sorry not to have pictures, but I don't have a working camera right now.
The underneath part is cooler than the rest of the cage, due to the ice, and allows plenty of room for stretching out and lazing as well as privacy. The downside is that we haven't seen as much of the pigs. They do get up top as well, but the underneath is what really draws them.
We find that our house stays about ten degrees cooler than outside just through putting a fan on at night to draw in the cold air and stopping it during the day.

LAWomans
"Live Long and Prosper"

Post   » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:46 pm

Ledasmom, good idea. Pictures would be great! I like the glove idea!

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:47 pm

I went out and bought a couple BIG marble tiles for them to lay on. They are for like kiten cabinets etc and you can buy in a big awuare for under $5.00 ea, So I bought 2. They always stay nice and cool.

Myndy

Post   » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:18 pm

I throw cases of water n the freezer when I come home from shopping.
If you put a tube sock on them they are wonderful ice packs.

DaCourt

Post   » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:05 am

Oh my gosh, no air conditioning in CA! Are you insane??
Lived in CA my entire life and only one apartment I ever lived in had AC. CA has many different climates depending on where you live.

dmppiggie

Post   » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:37 am

Ditto. If you live within 10-15 miles of the coast in So Cal, the ocean breeze takes care of any cooling needs (with the help of fans). I didn't have A/C until I moved to LA county. We have it here in the central valley because it does get and stay warm, but that's about it.

DaCourt

Post   » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:40 am

We were even closer than that. Just had to open up the front and back doors and let the breeze flow right through.

worldangel

Post   » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:57 am

I put a frozen water bottle underneath the fleece. I have noticed them going to the spot and lying on it, so I guess it must have felt cooling to them.

akintolife

Post   » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:43 am

There is a lot of good information here for me too since I live in Queensland, Australia and have no AC. During summer my boys get some extra fruity treats - watermelon and Monty loves my pineapple ice blocks/ice lollies (made from 100% fresh pineapple and juiced and frozen by me).

When I am at home, my boys spend part of the day out on the balcony, because it's much cooler there than in the rest of my apartment, otherwise I find that the bathroom being mostly tiled is a cool room.