Tallulah's Medical thread

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:16 pm

"Anything to be concerned about?"

Probably not. When your body is under extreme demands, a milkshake, Big Mac, protein shake and can of Ensure will probably help you out, too. ;-)

Nails: how crazy is crazy? Unless she is scratching her eye(s) with them or they are corkscrewing into her footpads, if it were me I'd leave them alone for now.

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:09 am

Not that crazy, but they are pretty long, I've been having trouble trimming them because she freaks out so much when you restrain her, she just screams and screams. Unless they become a health or injury hazard I'm going to pretty much leave them be, and trim them up after she has the babies. She's an abby so she has the curly abby nails, I'm hoping they chill long enough that we can wait to trim them up.
Otherwise, I might just have her on my lap and trim them one at a time, as she let's me.

It's hard to get a good look at them because her fur is really long on her toes and the nails are the same color as the fur.

She has a new favorite place in their cage: on the back of their bolster bed so she can see over the babyproofing. Silly thing.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:21 am

Sorry, Llulah. Move the bolster bed so she can see, but **keep it away from the sides of the cage**. Pups can climb and jump far better than adults. They will repeat will get up there and out through the grids above the babyproofing if the bed is too close to the actual sides of the cage.

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:57 am

Yikes! Good to know, I didn't even think of that. It gets taken out today for a cage clean anyway, but I'll be careful when I put it back in next week.

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:25 pm

I couldn't feel the babies today, nobody kicked or moved at all, is this OK? or is this bad? I'm going to go molest her again because I'm freaking out.

ETA: I still can't feel them moving.

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:48 pm

OK, I just felt them, I'm so relieved.

My poor Llulah girl is starting to feel like a mommy I think, since she's always been sweet tempered but now is a nippy little booger when I pick her up, I think we're at the point where it's uncomfortable for her to be picked up so I'm going to do my best to stop picking her up unless it's very important.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:51 pm

Yes, I would have been worried. Glad you felt them move. Hope things continue to go okay.

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:57 pm

There was such a sense of relief when I felt that little movement. It's funny how it went from being freaky to being very important to me to feel the little ones moving. I might have trouble giving the babies up!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:48 pm

If you absolutely have to pick her up, try to get her to go into a cuddle cup, bed or cuddle sack and then just pick it up with her in it.

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:20 pm

Tallulah is making a lot of squeeky noises, and there is some very dark urine in a section of the cage. Do pregnant guinea pigs make squeeky/shrieky noises? or does it sound like something she should be going to the vets for?

I'd like to not go to the vets if we don't have to, because 1.) she's pregnant, and 2.) it is hot as hades out there, and my car is black and leather and tends to not get appreciably cooler.

LandosMomma

Post   » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:35 pm

Yes, they can make those noises, just like us humans when we are very pregnant! I was really hoping to see baby pictures today!! When they have the babies though they tend to make one weird hiccup squeek and start pushing out babies, that is the only noise you will hear usually during labor.

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:44 pm

Babies should be soon! I hope! She's still pretty limber, but every once in awhile after leaping about she just lies down like she can't carry on. I'm hoping it'll be a week or less becaue I think I read somehere after you feel them move it's like 2-3 weeks after that they're born.

I'm back to thinking it's only one baby, when I feel the movement it's only in one area, under her belly, near the pelvis now, no longer on the side.

She's a funny thing, she's always in *such* a hurry that in order to run at the speed she's accustomed too she runs on her tippy toes, it's adorable.