Tallulah's Medical thread

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:48 pm

If you absolutely have to pick her up, try to get her to go into a cuddle cup, bed or cuddle sack and then just pick it up with her in it.

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:20 pm

Tallulah is making a lot of squeeky noises, and there is some very dark urine in a section of the cage. Do pregnant guinea pigs make squeeky/shrieky noises? or does it sound like something she should be going to the vets for?

I'd like to not go to the vets if we don't have to, because 1.) she's pregnant, and 2.) it is hot as hades out there, and my car is black and leather and tends to not get appreciably cooler.

LandosMomma

Post   » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:35 pm

Yes, they can make those noises, just like us humans when we are very pregnant! I was really hoping to see baby pictures today!! When they have the babies though they tend to make one weird hiccup squeek and start pushing out babies, that is the only noise you will hear usually during labor.

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:44 pm

Babies should be soon! I hope! She's still pretty limber, but every once in awhile after leaping about she just lies down like she can't carry on. I'm hoping it'll be a week or less becaue I think I read somehere after you feel them move it's like 2-3 weeks after that they're born.

I'm back to thinking it's only one baby, when I feel the movement it's only in one area, under her belly, near the pelvis now, no longer on the side.

She's a funny thing, she's always in *such* a hurry that in order to run at the speed she's accustomed too she runs on her tippy toes, it's adorable.

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:41 pm

I saw something kinda weird when they were in their pen on the floor. Tallulah was half laying down with her front half up and her head straight up in the air.

Very Bizarre...and now she's squeaking again, the poor dear, I hope she has her babies soon!

LandosMomma

Post   » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:43 pm

That is the way they have babies, is she having them now??

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:50 pm

Oh boy! Really? I don't know! I didn't hear any funky noises! I'll go look.

ETA: Nope still pregnant, but there's a little something gummy/tissue like on the fleece, and maybe some blood (or blueberry juice) The babies are moving moving in there though. I'll keep an eye on her. She's running around like normal, and no blood coming from her now. I'm going to try to photo the gummy thing...

LandosMomma

Post   » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:55 pm

She might be in labor now, is it dark and quiet in there?

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:58 pm

She's in her sack. I have the TV on, which is next to the cage, shpould I drape a blanket over the cage? and turn off the TV?

LandosMomma

Post   » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:03 pm

I would make it as quiet as possible in there. So, she is more relaxed. I'm so excited, I can only imagine how you must feel!

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:03 pm

Stain on the sack:
Looks like blueberry to me

The gummy/tissue thing, the dark stuff is blueberry, the fleshy colored stuff, I have no idea. There's some lettuce shreds in there too I think haha. Location wise it right in front of the sack.

I'm nervouse, what if something goes wrong?!? and I don't catch it in time, or at all. I just want this over with haha. Once there are happy, healthy babies, I'll be happy and excited!

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:09 pm

Also, the babies are kicking like mad, and she purring when I touch her. Somebody yesterday at work said their guinea pig did that right before she had babies..

LandosMomma

Post   » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:12 pm

It is so hard to say, looks like it could be blueberry or tissue. Is auntie in there with her or do you have her alone?

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:18 pm

Both aunties are in there. It's definitely something mixed in with veggies, so it's a very small amount, and I can't get a clearer photo. It's stringy, it reminds me of like the gross globs of fleshy stuff some women get during their period.

I considered seperating them, but she loves them so much that she would have just wheeked and wheeked so I decided it would be less stressful all around if they stayed together.

ETA: still no babies, and she's just wandering around the cage now. Also, the stain on the sack is definitely blueberry, I found the culprit aka squashed blueberry skin inside.

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:34 pm

I want to keep checking on her, but I don't want to stress her out.

However, one of the cats is up there staring under the blanket.

So. Stressful. I wishe she could talk, she could be like 'Yea, mom I'm in labor" and than I wouldn't be freaking out haha

LandosMomma

Post   » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:36 pm

Keep aunties in there, they can be a big help! Are you going to be home most of the day?

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:40 pm

Yes, I'll be home all day today.

I just checked on them she was running around the cage, and the fleshy thing has since disappeared and just leaves behind part of a blueberry, maybe it was blueberry after all (they were frozen).

I took out the sack and replaced it with her timothy hut as it has more structure to it.

Oh, Tallulah, you're going to give me grey hairs.

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:56 pm

I think she false-alarmed us. No babies, no hicupping, and she's running around and eating. -sigh- Oh well, I'll keep an eye on her to be safe.

SardonicSmile

Post   » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:30 pm

One of my two piggies is pregnant too.

(I got her from a pet store, I know, bad me for going there, I have since learned of a guinea shelter thats about an hour from here, so next time I'll probably go check that out)

Ive had her for 58 days today, and first felt movement about 2 weeks ago. I keep checking the cage over and over again.
She really young to be having babies too, at best she's about 16 weeks now.

Never had a pregnant piggie before and this certainly wasnt planned. Once I found out I gave my piggies bell peppers for their vitamin C and pregnant piggie has a vitamin C pill every day. I just pop it into the food bowl when she's eating and she eats it. If I try to feed her it, she turns up her nose at it! LOL

She is getting big and its kinda scary sometimes feeling her tummy as those babies can sure move around!

I weigh her twice a day as she gained weight for a while and then she lost weight, stayed on that weight for a couple of days, but now she is back to gaining weight. On average she gains about 10 grams a day now.

I am looking at making a bigger cage and hopefully keep one of the babies, if female.

No real signs yet of impending birth. She wheeks, eats, poops, pees like she always has.

Some people say you can tell they are going to give birth by their hipbones seperating a bit and that should change the shape of her backside a little... No signs of that!

I have noticed both piggies getting along a bit better. They never fought but they had their own little corner in the cage, they have now found a spot nearer to one another where they sleep and right now old pig is sniffing young pig's butt while young pig keeps eating hay!

I'll keep checking the topic for news cos I am just as scared about my pig pregnancy as you are about yours!!

Good luck!!

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:49 pm

Thanks! I think it's funny how your pig became nicer, and my pig became meaner!

She's constantly saying 'NO THANK YOU' to sharing any sort of hidey with her sisters, where previously it's been OK, she's actually been shoving them out of the hut, but the sack to be OK for sharing.

Still no sign of piglets.! I've had my girls out in their pen for most of the day, since last night they were playing nascar in the cage.

178 posts