Tallulah's Medical thread

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:40 pm

Yes, I'll be home all day today.

I just checked on them she was running around the cage, and the fleshy thing has since disappeared and just leaves behind part of a blueberry, maybe it was blueberry after all (they were frozen).

I took out the sack and replaced it with her timothy hut as it has more structure to it.

Oh, Tallulah, you're going to give me grey hairs.

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:56 pm

I think she false-alarmed us. No babies, no hicupping, and she's running around and eating. -sigh- Oh well, I'll keep an eye on her to be safe.

SardonicSmile

Post   » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:30 pm

One of my two piggies is pregnant too.

(I got her from a pet store, I know, bad me for going there, I have since learned of a guinea shelter thats about an hour from here, so next time I'll probably go check that out)

Ive had her for 58 days today, and first felt movement about 2 weeks ago. I keep checking the cage over and over again.
She really young to be having babies too, at best she's about 16 weeks now.

Never had a pregnant piggie before and this certainly wasnt planned. Once I found out I gave my piggies bell peppers for their vitamin C and pregnant piggie has a vitamin C pill every day. I just pop it into the food bowl when she's eating and she eats it. If I try to feed her it, she turns up her nose at it! LOL

She is getting big and its kinda scary sometimes feeling her tummy as those babies can sure move around!

I weigh her twice a day as she gained weight for a while and then she lost weight, stayed on that weight for a couple of days, but now she is back to gaining weight. On average she gains about 10 grams a day now.

I am looking at making a bigger cage and hopefully keep one of the babies, if female.

No real signs yet of impending birth. She wheeks, eats, poops, pees like she always has.

Some people say you can tell they are going to give birth by their hipbones seperating a bit and that should change the shape of her backside a little... No signs of that!

I have noticed both piggies getting along a bit better. They never fought but they had their own little corner in the cage, they have now found a spot nearer to one another where they sleep and right now old pig is sniffing young pig's butt while young pig keeps eating hay!

I'll keep checking the topic for news cos I am just as scared about my pig pregnancy as you are about yours!!

Good luck!!

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:49 pm

Thanks! I think it's funny how your pig became nicer, and my pig became meaner!

She's constantly saying 'NO THANK YOU' to sharing any sort of hidey with her sisters, where previously it's been OK, she's actually been shoving them out of the hut, but the sack to be OK for sharing.

Still no sign of piglets.! I've had my girls out in their pen for most of the day, since last night they were playing nascar in the cage.

BrandNewEyes

Post   » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:41 pm

My pig Mozart needed to take Bactrim for a week or two, and at first he HATED it. he didnt mind too much by the endHe was terrified, wouldn't take it, so I tried various things to get him to take it-
First, I had his brother close by, which helped relax him a little, although I don't think you could do that, with possible risk of making the others sick
I also tried letting him sit in his 'sleeping bag' or wrapping him snuggly in a towel/blanket/t-shirt and kind of force feeding him...but he liked to spit it back out as soon and I put it in his mouth.
Lastly, most effective for me, was what I call the treat method- when he took some, I gave him some cilantro, gave him high praise, and repeat until he took most of it.

Hope I could help!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:41 pm

SardonicSmile, be very careful handling a pregnant pig (in late pregnancy especially). Ideally your pig would walk into or onto something that could be safely and securely picked up rather than handling the pig.

SardonicSmile

Post   » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:03 am

Piggies still have a bit of a tussle when i give them their vegetables, pregnant piggie will practically climb onto the other piggie just to get it and she can jump really high, which is kinda freaky looking sometimes!

but they can now happily share the food bowl and sit together when eating hay whereas before they had their own eating times! This has only been happening this week though, so I'm hoping I'll have me some babies pretty soon and that the piggies remain nice to each other!

Lynx

I'm very careful with picking up my piggies. I just need to be sure she's gaining enough weight, I rather catch any possible problems before they become real problems!

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:08 pm

Ok, so she's starting to act funny, not bad-funny, but different funny. Anybody have experience with a piggy acting different shortly before birth? or am I just projecting and she's actually not acting funny at all and I just think she is because I'm so desperate for her to have these babies so that this stress and angst both on my part and hers, can finally come to an end, the poor dear looks so dreadfully uncomfortable, and she's stopped running away from 'the hand' when I feel her belly to check on the piglets.

SardonicSmile

Post   » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:54 am

how long have you had her for?

that way you can roughly know when the babies are gonna arrive.

Ive had my piggie for 60 days today, so on average it takes 68 days... I am hoping she got pregnant on her very last days in the shop, as she was re-homed somewhere between the friday my mum saw her and the monday after when I got her.

First home was with pigs much like her, probably related to her. Second home was with very different pigs, defo not related to her.

If the babies have grey in them, they are most likely from the second home! *fingers crossed*

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:17 am

Today makes 61 days that I've had her, but I read that when you feel the babies move it's about 2-3 weeks until they're born, and I felt babies doing the rumba about 2 and a half weeks ago.

SardonicSmile

Post   » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:21 am

looks like we are roughly in the same piglet boat!

my pregnant piggie is now tossing around the food bowl while hiding underneath a pile of hay... also not normal behaviour for her. I blame her hormones!

SardonicSmile

Post   » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:44 am

I woke up to three extra piggies this morning!

They all seem happy and healthy!