iPig's Adventures

Mr Demus 625
Supporter in 2012

Post   » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:00 pm

I know the tiel is an automatic OMG WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?

First let me preface this by stating we do not patronize the stores unless it's a dire emergency. Second this will not even be a thought until we can pin point what is going on with our herd. Third we have no intentions on getting more babies.

The pigs ran out of hay so I had to stop in and grab two bags of Oxbow. Ashley one of the girls that works there and helped us through some serious issues with Nicodemus when we first got him approached me about a boar they have. He's in isolation in the back and has been since January. He has a bad eye that has been treated topically and will most likely never fix itself. Thus he can't be sold so she's looking for a home for him as PetsMart won't approve any extensive testing to see what is going on with his eye. The store has already put in about $600 into him and she's afraid they will stop paying for his care. Now my question is and I need honest opinions. I'm not looking for a beet down as I'm well aware of purchase vs. adoption now. I know it doesn't help anything and in the end a poor piggy will just replace him.

My question is once we figure out what is going on with our babies and it's nothing contagious do we adopt him knowing we can give him much better care? I trust this girl as she's very honest about what they sell and how the company works and to give an example of how she is, when we got back from DisneyWorld in 2009 and the sitter we'd left the pigs with ended up being a horrible idea and they kept the babies with their ferrets and Nicodemus was matted from head to toe and covered in ferret feces and urine. It was 6:50 on a Sunday and PetsMart was about to close but we ran in to get some shampoo to get on Nicodemus before getting him to the vet. Upon seeing him Ashley took him in the back and bathed him, even though they aren't supposed to for liability reasons and stood with us for over an hour brushing and coming the mats out and making sure he stayed dry so he wouldn't get a cold. She didn't even charge us for the brush she pulled off the shelf. So I know she is doing her best by what she can for this isolated guy.

LisasHerd

Post   » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:05 pm

Will they be giving you this pig?

Mr Demus 625
Supporter in 2012

Post   » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:07 pm

Yes he would in no way be purchased.

LisasHerd

Post   » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:30 pm

Then I would take him!

Mr Demus 625
Supporter in 2012

Post   » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:35 pm

Thank you, hoping some others can weigh in as well. I don't want to give the impression that I'd be purchasing him at all because that would most definitly not be the case.

onetwo

Post   » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:43 pm

I too would say take him if he is free and you can afford to provide him with medical care. The pet store will probably let him die and they would have no/little issues with this. However you might have a hard time with letting him die and its not his fault he is in this situation.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:45 pm

Given these circumstances I'd consider the little guy a rescue. I hate to think of what PetStupid would do with him!

Good luck with your current herd.

rmeniteowl

Post   » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:47 pm

Take him!

Fourboys4now

Post   » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:17 am

I would consider this a rescue situation since no money will be given to them.

I too hate the thought of buying animals from pet stores. A few months back I came across a baby zebra finch with what I thought was a splay leg. They ended up giving him to me as he couldn't be sold how he was.

It was a horribly broken leg with the bone protruding I later learned. My vet only charged me $50 for his amputation surgery and now Happy my finch is doing great. I consider him my little rescue birdy as there is no telling what would have happened to him if I left him in the pet store and they couldn't have sold him.

akintolife

Post   » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:28 am

I would consider this a rescue situation and would take him if you can work out what is happening with your piggies.

Kermie831

Post   » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:49 am

Yup, take him :)

A petsmart around here had a little Chinese hammie that had a mass on her eye. My vet did surgery and then told me about her. When my friend and I went to go pick Blinkin up, the receipt said "Damaged goods." She was $0.01. The associate pulled a penny off the counter jar.

GuineaPiggin

Post   » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:45 am

the receipt said "Damaged goods."

Kermie, that is so sad. =(