Post   » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:13 am

Here's Tallulah having Bee1.

Baby's head

Baby #1!

Tallulah having Bee2

Very Dirty Baby #2!

Babies and momma.

Bee1 weighs 89 grams, Bee2 weighs 127g.

Tallulah was kinda running away at first, but when she hid in a box (ie. the knocked over hay box) I moved the babies in with her, she cleaned them and they appeared to be nursing.

(and of course she had them the DAY before the cage is cleaned, so they're all dirty!)

LisasHerd

Post   » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:15 am

All seems normal and they are adorable little things!! Good weights! Make sure mom cleans them well, nurses and eats super well.

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:19 am

I was nervous because the weights seem so drastically different, also, is falling over and shivering (from the babies) normal?

I just added more pellets and if Tallulah ever gets of the hay box I'll add some alfalfa hay.

LisasHerd

Post   » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:22 am

They are shivering because they are new and wet. Make sure they have clean dry bedding to warm up in with mom.

Since she is so young herself, it isnt unusual to have smaller babies. After all, where would they grow, she is tiny too!!

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:23 am

That was pretty much what I was thinking, she's so small I was sure there could only be one in there! I'm going to move them onto the floor time pen so I can change out the bedding and such in a bit.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:41 am

Ditto LH. You might want to kick the AC up to, oh, say 73 or 74 for a couple of days (will save you some $ too).

Don't worry about the hay and droppings -- that's exactly where they'd come into the world in the wild! ;-)

Try to make sure Bee1 eats and gains well (well, both of them and I'm sure you will). I have no direct personal experience with this but usually IIRC the larger one(s) are out first with the smaller to follow. Birth order may have helped Bee1 a bit here.

Don't stress about the dirt. Give them a chance to warm up, dry off and nurse a bit first. Tallulah needs to get used to them too since she is so young herself.

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:47 am

She chose the messiest place as her home base! haha They're all sitting in the hay box!

I was planning to clean it out in the morning. I'm going to add some cloths and little blankets in there for them to snuggle on and I've turned off the ceiling fan (I'll adjust the AC too)

I'm keeping the scale set up so I can weigh them every day (or more often)

Everyone says there's no mistaking the sound they make, and there really isn't! I've been checking on them all week whenever I hear any kind of funky noise, but when I heard the noise I knew what it was immediately!

Also, Aunties are being super sweet and helped Momma clean them off!

ETA: I put Tallulah's very favorite sack in there, she crawled in, I put the babies in, walked away, came back and all FIVE guinea pigs were in an ITTY BITTY SACK, so I removed the 2 aunties and put them in the 2nd sack, I was afraid they'd squish the babies! but I don't see how I can keep them from just running back in once I'm gone.

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:03 am

I'm glad it went well. What a beautiful family. Keep us posted.