Questions/Stories?

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:32 pm

I would give organic wheatgrass instead since your lawn has a lot of misquitos, you don't want to risk anything. You can usually buy already growing organic wheatgrass in grovery stores or health food stores. Is he scratching a lot, or any signs of sores? Some shedding is normal, especially in summer and spring I've noticed mine shed a lot more.

Squeaglez

Post   » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:37 am

He does scratch alot. Also something I forgot to add yesterday was that he alway closes his eyes while he's drinking water or eating and he is always squinting.

milosmumma

Post   » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:06 pm

Squeaglz,
Your pig is beautiful. I have never heard of the squinting thing with eating and drinking...is he eating normally? Does it seem like he is wincing? I'm wondering if he could be in pain from a tooth or jaw issue, or it could just be a weird habit. Is it new? The scratching is normal to a point...but if he is losing "clumps" of hair as you mentioned before, this could indicate a skin problem or more specifically, mites. I didn't read all of your thread, was he checked by a vet recently? You may want to bring him in and they can take a look at his skin and give you treatment for him if he needs it. One way to check for mites is to gently push a bit of hair up towards the end of his back/rear end and see if you notice any tiny specks moving. They tend to start at the back end and travel up...but not all are visible so this isn't a sure way to check (at least to my knowledge, but I could be wrong...) Unfortunately we can't give you answers without being there and seeing him, so the best thing to do is make an appointment as soon as you can, just to be on the safe side.