Sperm or Bladder problem

onetwo

Post   » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:47 am

Very detailed pics. My goodness, what kind of camara are you using? I can't get within 12 inches of my subject without bad fuzz.

Sending positive vibes that all works out for Baby Pig...

gizzy

Post   » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:16 pm

Baby Pig, has been wheek and discomfort free since the removal of the sperm rod, he is wee'ing normally , and the neuter is healing very well ,

i am so glad that l opted for the neuter, as opposed to chemical castration , as it is possible he may not have lasted the 2 weeks for it to take action .

and yes Lynx this is an unusual one ,please feel free to add this series of pictures permanently to the board,

hopefully it may benefit other keepers that may encounter similar symptoms,

i will continue to update on he progress

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:27 pm

Thanks gizzy. I really hope this takes care of everything for him! Very encouraging to hear he is peeing normally right now. Do follow Erin's tips. We've had a number of guinea pigs develop abscesses and her recommendations will help.

I cropped and compressed the pics so they should download quickly for readers.

Hoping all your updates are positive ones!!

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:42 pm

I'm glad Baby Pig is doing better. Keep up the good work!

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:48 am

I'm so sorry to hear Baby Pig was having such problems. He's lucky to have a dedicated cavy parent though. Here's to no more buildup problems.

gizzy

Post   » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:23 am

Thanks Guy’s for you wishes !

onetwo’s> quote,
Very detailed pics. My goodness, what kind of camera are you using? I can't get within 12 inches of my subject without bad fuzz. Unquote >

Hi onetwo , thanks !! But nothing special just a cheap and cheerful £40 on offer Samsung S1050 , it has a macro facility

Lynx ‘s>quote .
Do follow Erin's tips. We've had a number of guinea pigs develop abscesses and her recommendations will help. unquote>

Thanks Lynx , l read this a wile ago , very helpful , as I went through a run of post neuter abscesses last year, 5 out of 7 in fact, was considering changing Vet .

Update on Baby Pig .

Still monitoring him in my hospital room /Bedroom , and will continue to do so for several weeks .No pain or discomfort wee’ing and poo’ing , in fact no problems at all . The urine test sticks I use (Roche Combur 9 ) are showing clear , even the nitrate if negative ! But I will compete the 10 day course of Zithromax (azithromycin) .

Baby Pig and his brother, Crinkle , have been bonded since birth, due to his post operation, to maintain the stability of the bond they are in a large cage , divided by an 1 ½ inch gage, solid mesh ,

Yesterday I took away the division and after a few hours of settling down together , it was evident that the balance of power, as so to speak had changed !!!

Crinkle had for over 4 years been the dominant of the two. The bond was a stable one , it’s just that Baby Pig was always the submissive of the two .

I don’t know whether it is a post neuter burst of hormones or what ??? , but now after all that time , Baby Pig is boss pig ,

Whether it lasts remains to be seen !!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:38 pm

So glad to hear he continues to be comfortable.

capybara
Supporter in '13

Post   » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:12 pm

Oh my gosh! What awful pictures! I'm sorry I didn't realize how extensive this problem was when I posted earlier. It really did look to me like thick calcium deposits in urine at first.

Does your vet know what might have been going wrong to cause what appears to be an overproduction of ejaculate?

I'm glad Baby Pig seems to be feeling better.

gizzy

Post   » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:42 am

Hi capybara , Vets original thoughts were thick calcium deposits!!!

I find the whole situation frightening as it is still unclear , and all vet could suggest was, as you said overproduction of ejaculate .

i am now wondering if "some" past bladder problem piggy's may have had a similar problem, and gone incorrectly diagnosed ???

Update on Baby Pig , nearly 4 weeks since his castration , and no signs whatsoever of the original symptoms !

Regarding the sperm/ejaculate rods blocking his urethra , and causing him pain when weeind/pooing .

I don’t know whether this was a one off , as my vet has not encountered a problem like it before , also I have done some web searches , and not come across another case like this one .

Or perhaps it is something that is not uncommon , but has gone unnoticed , I know I only found the original rod that was stuck in the urethra by chance ,

Had it gone unnoticed, the Vets next port of call , would have probably been surgical bladder examination , due to the pain he was in and lack of response to various meds and pain killers

Thankfully he is now 100% and hopefully he will stay that way