Tallulah's Medical thread

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:37 pm

and another thing, I just weighed the babies, they've each lost about 10grams is that normal? I see that in the handfeeding pups section it says they lose weight the first 2 days, so I guess my new question is: is 10grams an OK amound of weight for them to have lost? or is that a larger amount that it should be?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:09 pm

I don't know if there are precise numbers. Watch to make sure they are eating and active. Watch for the weight to start increasing. Be prepared to hand feed if needed.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:03 pm

Mucousy stuff/afterbirth: how is Tallulah acting now?

If she's acting ok, if it were me I'd take her to the vet sometime in the next few weeks just for a well checkover and an x-ray.

If she's not acting ok, she needs to see a vet much sooner. (IMO -- I am *not* the baby expert.)

Don't worry about sexing them just yet. It is very, very hard for even experienced rescuers to tell this soon. You have 21 days from birth to figure it out definitively.

The first baby looks closely related to Twister. I will bet large amounts of money they came from the same place.

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:24 pm

Tallulah is acting a little weird, but not really bad weird. She's eating and drinking and moving and everything, she just seems tired and isn't running when I touch her, but I think that's because she's very careful about keeping the babies close. She also wasn't quite as voracious about her veggies as she usually is, but that could be because she's not pregnant anymore.

They do look very similar, since they were found in the same neighborhood it seems likely they're from the same place.

I love them, they're so adorable.

They're very active, very loud little things. I picked up some 100% apple juice and some baby food at the grocery store just in case I need to make a mash.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:29 pm

Mm. I'm paranoid. If it were me I'd want the vet to give Tallulah a quick checkover -- if you can do so without 1) getting in trouble at work and 2) taking her out in 98-degree heat.

If you do take her, take the babies with. I don't think I'd consider it an emergency, though, at least not at this point based on your description of her behavior.

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:34 pm

Tomorrow looks like it'll only be 90. I have work in the afternoon but it looks like our usual vet is open for sure until 2pm and the fancy one says they have saturday appt hours available. I'll call the fancy one because they're more likely to do an x-ray and with their usual vet I always get the feeling he think's I'm silly for worrying about them so much.

I'll make a decision in the morning based on her behavior, I'm going to take her out and give her own plate of veggies to eat so she's not fighting for her lettuce.

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:09 am

Ok, I tried to do some Momma only time and it worked...for about 5 minutes and than she started freaking out, so I put the babies in a bin and put it beside her and that worked for a little while, but eventually it was too much and she was just running around screaming. She probably ate half of a lettuce leaf and some hay. I'll keep doing it because she did eat for herself, she's just so preoccupied with the babies.

I held her and she nipped at me like she did when she was pregnant, but other than that she seems...to like me! Apparently delivering babies has turned her into a massive momma's girl haha. She was sitting on my foot and came running when I tapped her bed for her, these are things she never did before. Very sweet.

Mostly she just seems tired, which is understandable I'd think.

SardonicSmile

Post   » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:12 am

Just so you aren't too worried about baby weight.

Luna was born 94 grams, she only went down to 92 grams

Loki was born 91 grams, he went down to 84 grams

Lexi was born 100 grams and she went down to 92 grams.

They all started to put on weight from day 4 onwards. (Day 1 being the day they were born)

Momma Lily was 908 grams on the last day of pregnancy. And after the babies were born she went to 580 grams. Her weight hovered around this number for a while, sometimes less sometimes more. Now she seems to be gaining weight again. Last check she is on 607 grams.

Lily gets nervous too when the babies aren't around. She can hold out for about 15-20 minutes before starting to wheek for them.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:14 am

Sounds like a plan. Check her in the morning and call the fancy vet if you have any concerns at all.

Again, I have no direct experience with this -- but I think they are usually rigorous about consuming the afterbirth. (In nature this would be a dead giveaway that she had delivered and that there were vulnerable young nearby. As I understand it "normal" is "leaving no trace whatsoever".)

I really doubt she's retained anything or that there's anything wrong. But if anything seems even a bit off tomorrow morning, call the fancy vet.

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:57 am

Talishan, she may have eventually eaten it, I removed it after about 10 minutes while she was distracted by cleaning the babies.

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:49 pm

I feel I should clarify, she ate the placenta and after birth from piggy 1, the placenta and afterbirth was removed (by me) for baby 2 so she could focus on cleaning up the babies.

So, basically what I'm doing at night is moving Tempest and Twister to the floor pen for veggies and putting a seperate plate of veggies in the cage for Tallulah so there's no competition and I've been keeping the cage mostly covered because they're all very jumpy and when the cage is uncovered Tallulah seems to think there are Eagles around (I think she's been talking to Ouiser! haha)

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:37 am

You're gonna need to lock her cell phone. :-p