Skinny Pig Calvin Medical Thread

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:14 pm

Do keep an eye on it. My husband had a sebaceous cyst on his back for years. It would get bigger, drain, be dormant for a while, then start the whole cycle over again. It finally got huge, ruptured, and the cyst sac came out. I think as long as the sac stays, they can recur.

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:24 pm

Okay thanks bpatters!

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:54 pm

Update: Calvins spot did not totally go away and started to grow again. Just slightly, but enough that I noticed.
I was advised to first try warm compresses everyday for 5-10 minutes at a time.
This is supposed to heat the sebum and help the body reabsorb it.
If that doesn't help, he will have to be seen by the vet to assess whether it needs to be removed or antibiotics will help.
So there you have it, like I was told it isn't something that can be fixed at home, in most cases.
We shall see what the compresses do, it has been day two of them and already it is a touch smaller than yesterday but who knows!
Anyone ever feel like there is always something going on with their piggies to deal with?
Whenever things are going smoothly, someone needs a certain kind of attention.

LisasHerd

Post   » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:23 pm

When you have multiples, there is always something happening!!

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:14 pm

Calvin is off for the vets Thursday.
I am taking my Moms piggy in for her, she is showing major signs of ovarian cysts, I decided I would make an appointment for Calvin as well since just doing the warm compresses on his spot aren't making it go away.
They help keep it at bay but he forever has a deep looking pore and when I don't do warm compresses it starts to get build up inside again.

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:15 am

So today is vet day.
I will update anyone who would like to know what gets done or recommended for Calvin.
Also I can share about Peanut as well once I get back.

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:17 am

Here is what Calvin spot looks like this morning before I am off to the vets.
He has a bit of dry skin around the area.

LandosMomma

Post   » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:46 am

Good luck Calvin! * kissses boo-boo*

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:13 am

I added this photo also. Good luck!

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:54 pm

I am getting ready to take off, here is a video that includes Peanut if anyone is interested :)

skinnypigs1
Supporter in '12

Post   » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:09 pm

I'm back from the vets.
She told me Calvin had the best looking skin and nails she'd ever seen on a skinny pig! (It was a new vet checking out the pigs).
She told me I was doing a good job keeping his spot clean and she thinks it would be best to just keep up with the warm compresses and keeping the area clean for now.
If he were to be operated on she'd need him put under and she thought that wasn't worth the risk since his cyst isn't causing discomfort and isn't infected.
If his spot were to get worse or start to grow bigger and I'm not able to keep it under control then she told me to bring him back for a removal.
So I basically didn't find out anything new. Oh well, at least I know she thinks his spot looks fine for now.

Peanut had to get Xrays and she for sure has cysts and they are concerned about the possibility of a mass in her uterus, which they can't comfirm until surgery.
Peanut has to be spayed to remove her problems.
Now is just shy of $500 typical for a guinea pig spay?
I thought maybe $150 or so since when my Mom gets her rabbits fixed it runs around $75-125 depending where you go.
The lowest quote I could get was $275-$375.

That makes me wonder what they'd charge for Calvins cyst removal.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:46 pm

A cyst removal would be much simpler than a spay. Whatever you do, look for someone who is very experienced and will provide pain meds at the very least.