Crystal formation in the urine.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:08 am

Thanks Lynx - that's helpful. I try and encourage a full bladder at our next vet trip!

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:03 pm

"Is there anything else I can do - I was hoping to isolate his triggers."

That's the hard part. I feel that I am already doing everything known to help Edgar, but he still keeps having trouble. The triggers may be different for different pigs, but these are the things that I have noticed with Edgar. His episodes always occur every August without fail no matter what I do. So, I'm assuming there may be a temperature related component (in his case). The other thing is that he has a very small bladder. The vet who did his stone surgery last August told me that, but until I saw it on ultrasound this year I hadn't realized how small. His bladder is about half the size of most.

I don't know if any of this is helpful to you. But maybe you can start looking for similarities in Patrick's episodes. Pay attention to everything, what greens are given, what the quality of hay is certain times of year, etc. Also keep track of how much water he is drinking daily.

There could also be an underlying health condition that you are unaware of. Maybe some blood work would help?

Fred_and_co

Post   » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:14 pm

I have had Patrick on just hay and grass for a good few days and still squeaking :(.

Thanks for the reply PinkRufus, I think I will need to consider where to go next.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:37 pm

Patrick is now passing blood again, unfortunately I have to work tomorrow and the next available date I can get to my vet is next Saturday, which is just to long for Patrick to wait. My mum has kindly agreed to take him back to the vet who did the Ultrasound, he has an appointment first thing and I have typed up Patrick's history for the vet.

I'm really at a loss as to what to do now, it's just an ongoing nightmare!

This is a video I took today, his squeaking is constant but now we have blood to. Hoping the vet can suggest something new or at least more effective pain killers!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:29 pm

Will you be having a new xray too? I am sorry you are both struggling with this.

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:07 pm

Poor little boy! I hope the vet can help him tomorrow.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:14 pm

Yes I hope so Lynx - although I may have to book another appointment for a scan, I'll let you know how tomorrow goes.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:39 pm

My mum took Patrick to the local vet today as planned he was given an injection of Buprenorphine, Septrin and Rimadyl I've to give a 16th of a tablet that will be interesting, couldn't get a scan done.

This Saturday I plan on making him an appointment for the my usual vet - just wish they weren't so far away going to hopefully get him Xrayed.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:17 am

Patrick was scanned 6 weeks from today - nothing was detected, he was scanned again today as he is passing blood again his bladder is thickened and a growth (soft tissue - the size was 1cm across the bladder wall was detected. It is inside the bladder wall. The vet is testing for cancerous cells, a urine sample is being sent away to be tested by labs but the chances of getting a conclusive result are slim. I get the impressive the vet does not want to open him up.

He is in pain we are managing this with painkiller's, does anyone have any suggestions?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:45 pm

No suggestions but offering my good wishes and support.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:14 am

Thanks Lynx - I get the results back on Friday re-cancerous cells. Although I go on holiday today so my mum will watch him for me.

I suppose I can always try re-scanning in a few weeks see if it's still there or chnaged any.

I was hoping someone might have had something similar happen. I will keep you all updated if we make any progress.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:30 pm

Got the results back no cancerous cell yay! However Patrick is still passing blood on occasion we did another urine culture which showed no infection present his last ultra sound also was clear but his bladder wall is inflamed. We can only think the growth maybe scarring of the bladder wall.

He is always squeaking now, this was last week. Some days however are better than others.
This was him just last week:

By the looks of things he will be on metacam for the rest of his life.