Cuy Data

pokepigs

Post   » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:57 pm

Name: Carmel - half Cuy
Date obtained: I got Carmel 7/8/2011, but I believe she was rescued about a week prior.
Found or purchased where: rescued from a Long Beach, CA shelter
Weight: 1 lb 6.8 oz (646 grams)
Color: White with gray ears
Abnormalities: No visible abnormalities
Temperament: Skittish. Runs away when you try to pick her up. Wheeks loudly for the first minute or two after she is in your arms. Calms down after a few minutes and is then ok.
Health problems: None that we're aware of.

I foster for OCCH, where she is currently on pregnancy watch. She is about 2 weeks in, and so far no signs of pregnancy. (She was found in a cage with mother (full Cuy) and father (domestic)).

She is definitely still a baby, and growing faster than the others we have. She was smaller than the 2-month-old when we got her, and in 2.5 weeks is now as big as the 7-month-old. We think she must be around 2-3 months old.

I don't know how to post pictures yet, but I will try to get a more recent one (there is another of her and momma on page 3).

Charybdis

Post   » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:42 am

Thanks for the update! Pics would be wonderful. I am very interested to see if they can be tamed if handled young.

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:44 pm

I heard about a couple other possible cuys in our area so I went to 4 different Petco's (Saratoga, San Jose, Sunnyvale, Mountain View(today to see if they had anything that looked like it could be cuy.

Each Petco had 6-8 piggies but they all looked like the normal mix of Americans and Aby's.

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:47 am

We need pics of some of the young ones so people can see how different they look.

There's another one at a shelter near us. We're picking it up.

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:15 am

Mmercedesmom and I did some measurements today, ear-wise and foot-wise.

Jem, a female Cuy, has ears that are 2 1/4 inches wide. Valentino, an average sized adult boar has ears that are 1 1/2 inches wide.

Jem's feet were 2 1/4 inches long from heel to hairline and Valentino's feet were 1 1/2 inches long.

Debs4Pigs

Post   » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:16 am

I've had Pixie over a year now and she still acts like I'm going to eat her.

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:21 pm

I took some photos of Fiona next to Acorn today. Fiona is an adolescent Cuy weighing 1300 grams. Acorn is a full grown guinea pig male weighing 1100 grams. Fiona looks a lot bigger because her body is longer.

See how their facial characteristics are different:

And look at the feet!

jedifreac

Post   » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:12 pm

Really glad this thread is a sticky! Some general thoughts on cuy.

They're muscular and very beefy, not fat. Very, very strong. The reason why they are so meaty is because they are intended for food and not for pet companionship.

Part of the reason why they have six toes is because it is considered good luck for guinea pigs to have lots of front toes in Peruvian culture.

They're usually quite terrified of humans, seem more feral and simply more anxious than other guine apigs. High strung.

They are usually red and white, or golden blonde color.

They can leap out of a C&C cage no problem.

Their poops are huge.

They have shorter lifespans and many die suddenly.

It's strange but they seem to be more common in Southern California.

Here's some info on the cuy I pet-sat for OCCH:

Name: Caramel
Date obtained: early 2010
Found or purchased where? abandoned in a park in Burbank (Los Angeles County, CA)
Weight 1750 g
Color Golden blonde
Abnormalities (ie. extra toes) 24 toes--12 in the front, 12 in the back. Some of them are fused together and others are dangly.
Temperament: Very anxious and skittish. On his first day at his new adoptive home he screamed, leapt the new C&C cage and hid in a closet.
Health problems: Sadly, Caramel passed away in late 2010 so he was only in rescue for about a year.

I used this thread or a while to document my research on cuy:
viewtopic.php?t=56431[/b]

BamBam

Post   » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:14 am

Charybdis; never mind the feet, look at those ears!

Looks like Fiona sat calmly at least for the photo session. Is she overly timid as other Cuy's are?

I know it's bad bad bad of me but I am hugely (s'cuse the pun) attracted to these pigs.

Charybdis

Post   » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:09 am

She was startled at being placed up there and freaked out by the other pig so she froze as prey animals do. I can't catch her in my hands. I chased her into a cozy sack and then took the pics really quickly. They are wild animals and not suitable as pets.

Charybdis

Post   » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:32 am

This is the Cuy we got from the Downey shelter. It's the fourth or fifth Cuy we have seen in this shelter.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:31 am

What a cutie!