Tallulah's Medical thread

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:08 pm

Well that sounds good to me! I'd love for them to both be girls, and I just went and felt them again, definitely nothing like a ridge. Is 11 days old, old enough to feel a ridge?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:43 pm

What I can see looks pretty female but larger photos would have helped a lot (there is some possible loss of detail so I can't be positive).

seraphanjil

Post   » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:50 pm

Oh yeah you should definitely be able to feel a ridge. Usually you can feel a ridge as soon as they are born.

LandosMomma

Post   » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:54 pm

You may make a trip to Erie with them and I will tell you personally :P

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:59 pm

The "ridge method" is the only one I trust. To me it is definitive. Like SardonicSmile says, if it's there it's there and he's a male. If it's not it's not and she's a female. (It is actually the bone of their penis; that's where it goes when retracted.)

Rub your finger very gently from side to side across the belly of each, just 'north' of the anal opening. If you can feel a definite ridge following the midline of the body (pointed toward the pig's head), he's a he. Not and she's a she.

You'd feel better if Seraph and/or Landos could check for you, though. Don't freak; remember you have 21 days from birth before you would have to separate them.

KrazyKawaii

Post   » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:44 am

Thanks guys! There's definitely no ridge. Phew! I may be staying in PA a little longer, if that's the case I may try to meet up with Seraphnjil just to be sure, but I feel nothing that even remotely resembles a ridge.

SardonicSmile

Post   » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:21 am

Me as a first time ridge feeler can tell you, if you don't feel it, it's just not there.

Pretty safe to assume you have two girls.

seraphanjil

Post   » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:23 am

I'd be happy to meet up with you again! :) Just let me know

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:16 am

Talishan, I added your advice to use the ridge method:

www.guinealynx.info/.html

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:15 pm

"Me as a first time ridge feeler can tell you ... "

LOLOL! (sorry)

Ditto, though. There's only been one case I've ever felt where I couldn't be sure one way or the other.