Noddy's sick. Aerococcus. Please help

Hilary Holmes

Post   » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:13 am

Thank you BamBam and Lynx, for your continued interest in poor old(??) Noddy.
Ketones can be present for lots of reasons, but the commonest are diabetes and starvation / dieting.
My understanding, for what it's worth, is that they appear when the body is using up fat instead of carbohydrate for energy, so Lynx, you are absolutely right in what you say. Also, if you aren't getting sufficient fluid, either from not drinking enough, or losing it from "leaky " kidneys, you burn fat in order to get fluid, with the same result as dieting - ketones and weight loss. If I've got that round my neck, please correct me!
Noddy had been eating much less than usual,which would also account for the ketones. So I think either way he would have ketones in his urine.
I'm hoping that if the rodentologist can get him re-hydrated, he might start to feel a bit better and start eating again, but I fear that he will never get back to the nearly 1600g bruiser that he was. Just to get him home agin would be good, because the house is still very empty without him and MaggieMae.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:13 pm

Will the rodentologist be able to administer subcutaneous fluids? (That is, these are POM in the US, do they have a way to get the fluids and needle sets, perhaps from Vedra?)

My understanding of ketones is essentially the same as HH's -- with the exception of substituting "protein" (i.e., muscle tissue) where HH has written "fat". There are (ditto) different kinds as I understand it that can appear for different reasons, but the body's consuming its own muscle tissue (for lack of anything else to consume) is the main one. As I understand it. I am no MD (or nurse or tech or anything else).

BamBam

Post   » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:01 am

Tal, its not POM here: the rodentologist will be able to administer and I am sure Hilary will be able to transfer her skills from people to Noddy too.

Hilary Holmes

Post   » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:30 am

BamBam, Thanks for that, it's really useful information. When I finally (!) make contact with her again, I'll ask her about it. Anything to get him home, as the house is feeling more and more empty!

BamBam

Post   » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:01 pm

HH, I don't know if Lou will have the Hartmans. When Victor needed sub-q's I got mine direct from Vedra.

Hilary Holmes

Post   » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:17 am

Thanks BamBam. I finally caught up with her last night, but hadn't seen your post until just now.
The update is basically that she has found Noddy not only has "leaky" kidneys, but his liver is failing also, which Vedra had queried when I initially saw her, and she felt he was very anaemic. He's got loads of urobilinogen in his urine, My recollection of the physiology of the liver has never been good, but as far as I remember, this is a strong indicator of liver failure, although there are other causes, such as increased breakdown of red blood cells.
If anyone can put me right, I would be very grateful.
Lou's (the rodentologist) husband is a doctor, and he apparently said if Noddy was one of his patients, he'd be in ITU waiting for a transplant. This clearly isn't an option for Noddy.
However, Lou thinks he isn't in pain, he's taking syringe feeding OK, is better hydrated, and she feels he will eventually just drift off. I really hope this is the case.
In the meantime, he'll get as much supportive care and love as I can possibly give him.
If anyone has any suggestions as to how I can continue giving him the best life possible, I would be very grateful.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:13 am

No suggestions (outside of providing pain medication if he does end up looking like he is in pain). I know you are doing all you can for him.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:21 am

Ditto Lynx. As long as he's comfortable, care for him and love him for as long as he's here. That may turn out to be longer than the docs think. Lou's husband sounds like very trustworthy information to me.

You might want to ask Lou (or Vedra) about herbal support for the liver. I know some GL members have tried milk thistle, with varying degrees (some good) of success.

gvstate01

Post   » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:41 pm

I'm so sorry to hear :( But glad you can make him comfortable. I just lost one to end stage liver disease that was caused by a gullbladder infection after she was born. He's grateful to have you :)

Hilary Holmes

Post   » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:24 am

Hi Folks. Thanks for your continued interest. I'm picking them both up this afternoon - can't wait!! I'll let you know how he is, to my eyes, when I see him.
gvstate01, I'm so sorry to hear about you loss, I'm sure she had the best possible life with you.

Hilary Holmes

Post   » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:40 am

Well, to much rejoicing, he's home. I'm so happy I can't begin to tell you. He's still lost weight, and definitely looks thinner around his rear end, which used to be so beautiful and stroke-able, just like a big brown bowling ball. Still, I'm relieved to have him home, and will continue syringe feeding and supporting him for however long he needs it.
MaggieMae has clearly taken advantage of Noddy being ill and is now incredibly cheeky, won't sit still and is sneaking food off my lap before I'm ready to give it to her. More fool me for leaving it with in reach! She just sneaks round while I'm distracted and pinches it! She certainly is a little minx! Hopefully Noddy will soon be feeling sufficiently better to get her under control again!

gvstate01

Post   » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:57 pm

So glad he's back home!! What a relief :) Here's to hoping he can get back on the top of the ladder again!