UK Piggy - Anselmo's Medical Thread

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:33 am

Anselmo is a short haired black guinea pig, with a few brown patches here and there, with a crest, which makes him look as he has a white quiff.

I'm not sure of the exact date (I'll update later) of when I got him, but I believe it's about a month ago.

He was estimated to be 6 months old, but I think he is closer to 8 given his weight (around 1kg)

I don't know alot on his background other than he was an unwanted daddy pig. He was bought as a pair of females, and turned out to be a boy. There were a number of babies produced and so Anselmo and the babies were given away to be adopted. The babies were rehomed and Anselmo was left alone for at least 2 months before I brought him home.

He only wanted to eat Pets at Home pellets and carrots. He's now starting to eat lettuce and other veggies.

He is peeing and pooping fine, but he started to squeak when doing both so he has been prescribed Baytril 0.3ml x 2 day.

Fingers crossed stones aren't involved!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:41 pm

I certainly hope he has no stones! Could be his new diet is causing some discomfort. He does certainly have to improve what he eats!

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:32 am

He's starting to vary his diet a little, and I have seen him eating a few of the fluffy bits of the hay. But, he'll still root around in his veggie bowl looking for the carrots.

I've got to work late for the next few days so I've not been able to be around the guineas very much to listen for squeaks. However, during the night I didn't hear him squeak.

I think he's sneakily eating hay and veg when I'm not looking as he's gained 100g since I got him.

Fingers crossed it's just a UTI

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:08 am

Luckily that episode was short-lived, he stopped squeaking after the course of Baytril, and starting to eat the right vegetables.

However, he's started squeaking again. For quite a while he's been leaving white patches on the fleece after having a pee, but it's never felt gritty. He's also getting a build up around his penis, which I try to keep clean with warm water. I'm not sure what cream/cleaner I can use for his sensitive bits.

I took him to the vet on Saturday, and he's been given Baytril 0.3ml twice a day, and I think it's helping a little bit. They have offered to give him an x-ray but I'm not sure whether to or not.

On one hand I think it's a good idea because we could definitely rule out stones. But, on the other hand I don't want him to go under anaesthetic unless necessary. My last loss was due to anaesthetic. Fozzy underwent eye surgery and he never woke up.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:33 am

I have no experience (knocks wood) with stones, but am sending good vibes to you and beauuuuutful Anselmo! He is such an adorable boy.

flutterbye

Post   » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:04 pm

No need for them to give an anaesthetic to check for stones Jaycey, a nurse can hold your little one steady whilst the vet takes the pic - I've had x-rays done twice to check for stones & neither have needed the guinea pig to be under any kind of sedation.

Wishing all the best for you and Anselmo x

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:52 pm

Ditto Flutterbye. They should be able to gently hold him still well enough to get a full-body x-ray that will show stones if present (and hopefully, of course, not).

gvstate01

Post   » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:48 am

Ditto, anesthesia isn't needed. Good luck to your little guy :)

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:33 am

Thanks everyone. He was still squeaking last night so I'm going to book him in for an x-ray. If they do prefer to give him anaesthetic then he's not really going to need alot.

I'm hoping it's not stones as we're in quite a good area for water, our's isn't very hard, so I've always been lucky upto now.

He's not peeing blood and he's not left any white patches on the fleece this week so I'm still hoping for good news.

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:32 am

I've got him booked in for later today, and luckily work has allowed me to finish early to take him myself. So, I'll be able to wait with him and look at the x-ray's myself.

Thanks for calming my nerves everyone, I got myself in a bit of a panic when I thought about Fozzy. Anselmo is going to be fine, and he'll get lots of cuddles when he's done.

Wle312
Guinea Supporter '11

Post   » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:40 am

Best of luck at the vet, I hope everything will be fine!

clairey

Post   » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:04 am

Fingers crossed for no stones.