URI - Sneezing/Wheezing - Dandelion & Burr (first pigs)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:09 am

Yes, to me this may indicate pain.

JadeMagpie

Post   » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:41 pm

Okay!

I've talked to my vet. She knows about the rumbling. I'm to keep an eye on him and if it continues or gets worse, or if I notice any signs of a urinary tract infection, I am to call her immediately.

She is switching my ABs from Baytril (we've been on it 3 weeks) to Chloramphenicol , she said it is in a different family of ABs and since we haven't had luck with Baytril or Bactrim, that she thinks this is the next step to try rather than adding the doxy to the baytril we're already taking.

We're scheduled for a re-check in two weeks if they're still sneezing. We'll go in sooner if there is no change in Burr's behavior, or immediately if it starts to get worse.

I'll also work on getting a video so you all can see what I'm talking about. Maybe you'll notice something about his vocalizations that I don't understand yet being so new to piggies.

Is there something safe to give over the counter for pain if I need to, if there is pain? Is there any way to "test" for pain so that I can be sure that's what's going on here? Should I just wait and see how he is in 24/48 hours with the new meds?

We're still eating, running, sleeping, pooping, weeing, and gaining weight.

EDIT: Also, has anyone been on Chloramphenicol before? Any specific common or dangerous side-effects I should look for?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:56 pm

The best products are prescription items. I would ask your vet about meloxicam.

There will be cautions for handling the chloramphenicol. You will also want to read www.guinealynx.info/_advice.html if you're not familiar with it (don't remember if I already posted it).

JadeMagpie

Post   » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:46 am

OKAY. Clearly, I must be doing something wrong -- because we've been on Chloramphenicol for two weeks and symptoms seem to be coming back. I heard a cough or two, unrelated to eating, yesterday -- sneezing has not stopped and is still frequent enough that I notice it *every* time I'm with them, and now Dandelion sounds like he has the snuffles again.

Still no discharge. Coughing is not frequent.

Here's my only other thought -- we live in the basement, it's kind of like a studio apartment in that I live down there. In the mornings, I get ready on the other side of the room and sometimes use perfume. There are also scented candles in the room that are used infrequently (read less than once every two-three months).

Nothing has given me the impression that these things are having a direct effect, since the symptoms seem consistent and respond to medication (at least they did respond to Baytril and a Zenequil, which apparently breaks down to Baytril?).

That said, it's probably been about two plus weeks since I've used anything scented, save for perfume on the opposite side of the room. That's the most consistent environmental factor, since I get ready for work M-F daily.

I have a vet appointment today to get them looked at. She'd be able to notice Dandelion's breathing I hope and tell me that I'm not hearing things or crazy.

If it is environmental, would an air filter help? Should I remove scented candles even if I do not burn them? Would wearing essential oils instead of a commercial perfume work better? I keep thinking of @Jaycey's Arnold. I think Burr was the one who brought this illness home, as he had been in the back with some sickness before he came home with me. Whatever we have sure is antibiotic resistant. Else, I'm really doing something wrong and can't figure out what. :(

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:21 am

Personally, I would ask for doxy to be added to the baytril. One of my pigs needed this combination (after trying two weeks each of bactrim and baytril) before he cleared up.

After adding the doxy, he was on the mend, no more sneezing or rattling, in a matter of days.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:18 am

Basements are sometimes moldy. What's the humidity down there? Has there EVER been a bunch of mold on objects down there? (look carefully) I would consider moving to another location. Ditto on the possibility of another antibiotic working.

JadeMagpie

Post   » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:45 pm

Back from the vet!

We are back on Baytril with the added Doxy and doses adjusted to match their now larger size (They've grown a lot in the last month).

The vet also gave me some bene-bac (I have been giving Acidophilus) for each pig too.

She listened to Burr's lungs and said it sounded clicky (meaning some form of congestion in the lung area), and said if it gets worse or he still sounds this way when we come in for a re-check in two weeks, that she'll take a look at his lungs (assuming x-ray).

I'll do a visual check for mold, plus I'll see if there isn't some testing that I can do. I think for safety's sake I'll just take my perfume upstairs and stop using it downstairs.

Thanks folks, and @iastate09 -- I think you're right, and I am hoping that this will be what does this nasty bug in.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:21 pm

Do a sniff test. Pick up objects, look everywhere. Look at baseboards near the floor (where it is cooler and mold likes to grow).

JadeMagpie

Post   » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:31 am

Update!

Both pigs are doing MUCH better. We've just (on Monday) finished about *two months* worth of Baytril/Doxy combo, as well as a full mite treatment just in case (because of significant behavior and health improvements after the mite treatment, my vet said that perhaps they may have even had nasal mites that were contributing to the sneezing).

Dandelion is now at a whopping 1120 grams (holycrap!)

And Burr is at about 915g. He is not growing near as fast, and actually lost a bit of weight this week (he was at 930 last week this time). My vet says she wants to see him if he isn't gaining. For most of July he's been hovering at the 890-915 mark and doesn't seem to be increasing much.

But Dandelion... oh my god he's a big pig!

All symptoms are gone. Now is wait-and-see time, and I am going to keep a close eye on Burr's weight.

My only concern right now is Burr. He likes to sit around in his cage out in the open and is really easy to catch. He rarely runs from me (but if he decides to run, he is like a little rocket). I can't tell if he's just brave, bossy, and social, or if this is indicative of some medical issue. So far, besides the URI, there have been no signs of heart trouble.

Judging by how talkative and curious he is, and how much he loves ear and chin scratchies, maybe he's just very friendly? Dandelion is the opposite. He's always on the look out for eagles.

Thanks again everyone for your help this summer! Hoping for a healthy fall and winter.

DMac
Supporter in '10, '11, & '12

Post   » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:37 pm

Nasal mites! I've never heard of those. Are they regular mites that get in the nose for some reason?

JadeMagpie

Post   » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:26 am

I think so, she said they were very very uncommon -- or rather, that it was an uncommon place to get a mite attack.

JadeMagpie

Post   » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:37 am

It's baaaaaaaack! :(

This morning when I woke up and gave my pigs their good morning snuggles, Burr sounded like he had a lot of fluid in his lungs. He was very snortley. I've made an appointment for 10:30AM this morning. His usual vet is not in, but the other vet is very good with guinea pigs as well.

STATS: Symptoms: popping/snuffling/snortley sound when breathing and making any sort of vocals. Noticed this morning. Loud. Has been extra itchy lately (last couple weeks).

Last vet visit in July we were put on our final combo of ABs... ENROFLOXACIN & DOXYCYCLINE combo since 7/15/2011
Dosing ended 8/22/2011

Off meds now for about 10 weeks.

Current weight: 1028
Weight gain: couple grams per week steadily

Important notes On Saturday night burr was eating Hay during floor time. I noticed a big stemmy piece stuck in his mouth. I tried to get it out, but whenever I got close he started to freak out. So I went to go get a blanket and some extra fleece so I could hold him on my lap. When I got back, he had removed the piece. I was unable to locate this stemmy piece afterward, so I don't know if he swallowed it, or if it's still in his mouth, or if he dropped it like he was trying to do.

I'm wondering if this has something to do with what's happening?

Second note: I have a COLD! I have been holding and petting my guineas like normal as I thought pigs can't get human colds. Is this correct? I've read it here on a few threads -- should I stop handling my pigs when I'm sick?

Also, because BOTH pigs are itching, I am thinking the Mites are back. During treatment we had a wooden hidey house that I did not get rid of until the late part of dosing. I was also late about 5 days giving them their follow up dose. They were treated with Revolution drops on the back of their necks. Should I ask the vet for more Revolution? Or should I buy Ivermectin on my own?

Also, we've been keeping it at about 66-68 degrees in my house. Too cold? Let me know what you think! Dandelion, Burr's bonded cagemate, does not have any URI symptoms.