On and off diarrhea for my one year old-please help!! please

Momof4littlepigs

Post   » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:22 pm

I just have one more question about which Bio Sponge is best to buy, I was looking at this one they also have the pre-filled syringes. I want to make sure I get enough and the right one! :-) Thanks

Momof4littlepigs

Post   » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:26 pm

Never mind I see that the link I listed above is no longer available, so I will get the one that gvstate01 posted from This little pig marketplace. Thank you all!

gvstate01

Post   » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:28 pm

You're welcome :) The one I posted I believe is the pre-filled syringe. The picture doesn't match on Amazon, I don't know why

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:22 pm

Yes, be very careful you are getting the syringed paste. It is available as a paste, powder, and large gelcaps of the powder. Interestingly, it is also a HUMAN supplement and the company makes a human-quality (approved) caplet. And I have even taken it. And tasted the paste. It tastes horrible! It works really well for my dog who has intermittant stress diarrhea. I buy the caplets for him, since getting the amount of paste a dog needs down him/her can be a challenge due to the dirt-like taste (it IS clay).

The vet may not have heard of the plain Biosponge product before, but there are many similar products on the market. I like the Biosponge since it is PLAIN without added flavors, etc. Diarsanyl is similar as is the other paste ... Proviable (which comes as a kit with a probiotic capsule as well as an anti-diarrheal paste).

The clay itself is di-tri-octrahedral smectite.

Momof4littlepigs

Post   » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:24 pm

Ok, Sonic is back on the flagyl and the metacam and thus far there is no improvement, he only went back on it yesterday but with the last round of flagyl and metacam I saw almost an immediate improvement.

I am going to use the bio-sponge as well as soon as it gets here.

He is dying for some regular food (veggies etc) I actually have to take him out of the room when I feed the other pigs because he gets so crazy. I gave him a little banana today is that ok? I do not want my feeling bad for him causing him any more anguish.

Also, should I not give him everything else? I am afraid of over doing it with the meds, poop soup probiotics etcetc....Aside from the metacam & flagyl I gave him some probiotics in liquid vitamin c today and he has his constant supply of hay and pellets, which I also went back to the original Oxbow formula ( I have been mixing it in with the organic formula to help the transition)

What a mess, I have been cleaning him and his cage non stop...it just won't quit. It still hasn't gotten to the point of a liquid, it has been consistently like a baby food consistency, but it doesn't seems to let up.

To be honest I am shocked that this baby has been having issues since July and he is still kicking, full of energy popcorning the works! I am scared out of my mind hoping for the best and expecting the worst, but I am trying everything to help him make it through this.

Thank you all again so much for your help! So glad to know I am not alone and I have you all to turn to! :-)

gvstate01

Post   » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:27 pm

I'm only taking a shot in the dark here, but wanted to suggest at least something to help your little guy. In your first post it seems as though he developed loose stools after being on Baytril. There is something called "antibiotic associated diarrhea" that disrupts the normal gut flora and causes loose stools/diarrhea. https://www.guinealynx.info/diarrhea.html#antibiotic

Now, I don't know why he still has it after this long of time. However, if his gut flora never returned to normal, that may be it. Are you getting a poop for the poop soup from a healthy guinea pig? If that isn't working, I would try acidophilis tablets, or have you tried this route yet? If you haven't, make sure it doesn't contain lactose (I believe Nature's Bounty has this option). Sometimes the poop soup just doesn't work. It seems as though since his poop and blood came back normal that it looks as though it's an imbalance of his gut flora. I would try this before the bio-sponge, imo. I know you're trying everything, best wishes :)

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:56 pm

Personally, I have MUCH more faith the Bio-sponge will restore the proper GI flora than acidophilus. I really don't think it does much, if anything, if it even survives the stomach.

gvstate01

Post   » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:45 pm

So is Bio-Sponge a probiotic? I thought it just coated the stomach/GI? After reading the description on GL I still wasn't sure exactly what it was.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:34 am

No, it does neither.

It is simply a clay. The way it works is not unlike the old school kaolin-pectin (which used to be the active ingredients in Kaopectate before the company went crazy and put bismuth subsalicylate in it).

The way it works is twofold. It does absorb water and therefore stems the diarrhea BUT the more helpful thing is that it does absorb and counteract the toxins produced by clostridium difficile, which is the organism that overgrows with most cavy (and other animals) diarrhea and CAUSES the diarrhea. SO, it is better than any probiotic IMO. It actually squashes the clostridium's attack and allows the body to regain it's normal homeostasis and balance in the GI tract.

It is not only a treatment, but can be used sporadically as a preventative as well. If my dog is getting all sorts of things that might cause his stress diarrhea, I put him on a day or two of that and he is fine. And as I've said, I've even taken the capsules myself. I felt no problems whatsoever in my GI tract. Really benign stuff that does such good as "naturally" as we can. And vets who know anything use one of the several veterinary products available on a regular basis.

gvstate01

Post   » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:17 pm

Thank you :) You should put that on the Bio-Sponge description on GL!

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:05 pm

Stella used to have really soft stool, to the point that sometimes they were like a paste. She came from terrible conditions and the only thing that worked for her was Bio-Sponge.

That stuff really works!

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:46 pm

Yeah, we have to bribe Lynx for that gvstate!