baby guinea pig age question

onetwo

Post   » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:04 am

There is a tiny little lump about the size of a bb pellet just above the bump in the pic. I know about the ridge thing as I have boys and have extracted their penis' before for inspection and cleanings. But this bump doesn't quite feel like a penis either as it is not cyndrical but round. This guinea pig just has me SO puzzled...

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:22 am

That's a sow. I would have had the board members sex her. Please keep her separate.

dmppiggie

Post   » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:49 am

Looks like a girl to me. I see the "y" and even my girls have a little "flap" there. Of course, I have no experience with males.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:09 am

Definitely sow. www.guinealynx.info/.html

You will see the same thing on that page.

onetwo

Post   » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:13 pm

I did have a sexing thread up about her and everyone said it was a male. I have read all the sexing info many many many times. Is it common for the little flap of skin to have a pee hole at the end of it like a penis? No other female that I have sexed has had that... Its actually much longer than it looks in the picture Raichu was just struggling a lot and bites HARD so it was hard to get a good pic. Plus my camera sucks close up. When pushed really hard into and up the flap pops up more than 1/4 of an inch. In real life it doesn't look like the females on the sexing page...

Well Raichu has been with a male since we got her in early July. So if it is a female (still completely confused what sex it is) then chances are she is pregnant. Very frustrating because the shelter and my vet and people on GPC and I all thought it was a male...

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:44 pm

Where the heck was that thread?

There is no doubt that is a sow. The urogenital areas are quite differently spaced. Sows' urethral openings are pretty close to the anus. And yes, they often have developed "flaps."

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:51 pm

I couldn't find a sexing thread on here. If some kids on another less knowledgeable forum said it was a male, then they were sadly mistaken.

Your shelter and vet are also mistaken and they should be notified they made a possibly tragic mistake if you have a problem pregnancy on your hands. I know NONE of the vets I have EVER worked with in 15 years can properly sex a young cavy. TRULY! They are all cat and dog (and horse) vets.

onetwo

Post   » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:54 pm

So its normal for females to have a hole at the end of the little pointy flap? That was why I thought it was a boy because she had this purtrusion with a hole at the end and not an internal urithra like we do with a labia...

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:55 pm

Yes, that is a perfectly normal sow.

Whomever sexed that pig as a pup was an idiot.

onetwo

Post   » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:01 pm

My vet is the most experienced vet within 100 miles sadly enough.

http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/pre ... t-sex.html

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:17 pm

The first pic in that link is questionable (way too blurry), but the second pic is 100% female/sow. NO QUESTION.

Sorry you placed your bets on the comments of two people in that forum that were not sure, either.

lisam

Post   » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:01 pm

I did question if you were sure of the sex on the first page of this thread. Like I said before, really young babies are hard to sex, at least until they are three weeks, and sometimes even longer. I have mentioned many times (although not on this thread specifically) that some baby females will have a little nub that some confuse for a penis.

When there's a question about the sex of a pig it's always best to keep them separate until you are 100% sure.