On and off diarrhea for my one year old-please help!! please

gvstate01

Post   » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:42 pm

Here's some antiseptic safe solutions https://www.guinealynx.info/antiseptic_solutions.html

Momof4littlepigs

Post   » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:36 pm

Sonic is back to normal, after a 2 week course of the Flagyl he is back to 100%!!!! :-)

Since this is Sonics thread I will put this question here.

When he was having his bad battles of diarrhea he had blood work done and everything and it all came back normal. they wanted to check his kidneys and such and it ws all fine.

But he is drinking an awful lot of water......I mean a lot, he is drinking more water then all 3 of my other guinea pigs combined. I will fill his bottle in the morning and by days end its almost gone meanwhile the other guys still have more than half a bottle left.

I thought that maybe there was an issue wiith a leaking bottle because I noticed one of them was leaking so I went out and bought all new leak proof bottles, still the same thing his bottle was way down to the bottom when I got home.

Any ideas? I am not sure if it is a good thing or if I should be concerned he is drinking so much, but like i said above he was tested for other things as well and he was all good.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:15 am

Some of them are messy drinkers or play with the water. Is the bedding beneath the bottle wet or dry?

Momof4littlepigs

Post   » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:35 pm

@ Josephine, it was wet, so I was thinking quite possible the water bottle so I got a new bottle and it is now dry below the bottle, BUT I forgot to mention in my post that he is also urinating quite a bit.....he is urinating more than the others.

So I got to thinking, diarrhea for a month, drinking a lot of water, urinating a lot...diabetes?? or am I just psyching myself out, if it was diabetes would it have shown up in the blood work or they test special for that?

Momof4littlepigs

Post   » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:34 am

One more thing to add to the what seems to be never ending Sonic thread.....he has not pooped all day today, one little pellet of poop was all he produced today, yesterday there were tons of solid doody as there has been now since his diarrhea cleared up, but now there has been nothing all day.....what is going on with this baby??? :-(

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:45 am

1) Is his weight holding;
2) How is his eating (normally -- yes/no);
3) How is his demeanor/behavior?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:51 am

Diabetes can show up in the labwork, but it often shows up in the UA early on, too.

Diarrhea can cause excessive thirst, too. It is super dehydrating.

Momof4littlepigs

Post   » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:22 am

He hasn't lost weight, he is eating normal ( finishes everything to the last morsel) and he if ull of energy acting normal.

He no longer has diarrhea since he was on the Flagyl, but now its just he's drinking a lot of water urinating a lot and not pooping. This morning when I woke up there were a few poops in his cage and they looked normal. But, all day yesterday and into this morning he didnt poop at all.

gvstate01

Post   » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:04 pm

If he's eating a lot and not pooping then it sounds like he needs a motility drug (metoclopramide and/or cisapride). I think you can rule out any blockage here since he's eating. In my experience, pigs know when they can't poop and will stop eating because they can't or it hurts. So the fact he's eating is good, but he obviously needs something to help him move it all out

Momof4littlepigs

Post   » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:56 pm

Just so I know because I can't find any information on it, but does anyone know what too much bio sponge can do to a guinea pig? If any more than the recommended amount its given?

I like to know every pro and con to all medicines and side effects with recommended dose, too much too little etc...thanks!

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:10 pm

Too slow gut motility.

Momof4littlepigs

Post   » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:42 pm

ok, so this is a nightmare...I am really starting to think that his gut may never be right OR what possibly started out as antibiotic related diarrhea is now food related........
The poops were fine, moving along normal, normal shape and consistency, so I slowly started re introducing him back to his greens and veggies, little by little each day and after a couple of days he goes back to diarrhea, so I gave him some flagly and the bio sponge, that worked liked magic!! No greens all was a ok, so I gave him some greens and veggies and boom back to diarrhea.
Im going to call the vet tomorrow, but is this possible maybe his gut is so off that foods will cause the diarrhea as well?

This boy has been on and off meds and has had diarrhea on and off since July 18th!!!

I am going to have him tested for diabetes as well, I want to be certain I have covered every base.

This is a long thread, but he was perfect! He was totally fine up until July 18th when I took him to emergency for what turned out to be bacterial pneumonia, they put him on antibiotics and it has been a roller coaster ever since.

I feel so bad for him and wish every day for him to just be right again.