Cuy Data

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:30 pm

I received a call today from someone who was at the Petco in Fremont, California (SF bay area). She said there was a huge guinea pig - about the size of 2 or 3 guinea pigs, in an aquarium on the floor. She said it was beautiful -fur looks like a chinchilla's.There was no room for it even to turn around. It had no water. The Petco employee said it "was up for adoption".

It sounds to me like it is a cuy (except for the color)and someone left it there. The woman was going to see about adopting it and bringing it home but she can't keep it. I explained all of the problems with adopting it, if in fact it belonged to the store instead of someone leaving it there.

But - if it is an abandoned piggy, what would people/rescues recommend? Rescue it? Leave it? I mentioned she could call the SPCA about the bad conditions.

Do you rescue all of the cuys you come across even if the likelihood of adoption is low?

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:24 am

I should add that Paula Bunyan, our cuy, seems to be settling down. She's not as hard to catch anymore and when you have her on your lap etc, she sits there nicely. Perhaps she's too scared to move. She has the sweetest face!

Charybdis

Post   » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:48 pm

Fiona has not calmed down one bit. Sus and I clipped her nails yesterday and I have scratches all over my arms and neck.

Another Cuy found in a shelter today, a young female.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:33 am

This is a different cuy in a local shelter than the one mentioned above, though she is also red and white:

Here is the one chary mentioned... thanks petco! NOT

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:53 am

CH -- that poor Fremont pig. S/he cannot help what s/he is.

Do you know if the woman that called you went and got it (at least having some idea from you what she might be getting into)?

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:56 am

Unless the Fremont piggy is part of the Petco stock, I wish I had gone and gotten it.

I haven't heard back from the woman.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:36 am

I'm hoping if she cared enough to call you, she'll call the SPCA as you suggested even if she doesn't take the pig herself. Perhaps that will get him or her better conditions at the least. I can't imagine the poor pig not even being able to turn around.

Charybdis

Post   » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:04 am

We picked up the first Cuy in the photo above today. Big, terrified, and a jumper. This shelter was in south OC.

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:53 pm

The little half-Cuy, Carmel, was adopted today. Since we got her as a baby the foster did a great job of taming her and she was *almost* as tame as a regular pig.

Anokismom

Post   » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:40 pm

I like adopting the hard to place cases. When I've the space to adopt a new pair I'd like to help save Cuy. What do Rescues look for in adopters knowledge for the cuy?

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:52 am

Here he is next to a normal guinea pig.

He is 7 lbs, big and wild. He was purchased at Petco in La Brea (LA area) and returned there. Another rescue picked him up.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:48 am

7 pounds is one BIG PIG!

I wish they were not so wild.