Cuy Data

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:07 am

Lawomans picked up another cuy at an LA shelter today. He is young so not huge yet but will be.

-Matthew-

Post   » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:41 am

Can you define/describe "wild"?

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:13 pm

They are terrified of people. Fast, strong, can jump high. Not for a home with children, maybe a very patient adult with free time for taming.

Shelly

Post   » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:32 pm

Hello, I'm new here. I have two male guinea pigs that I got from my local humane society.
What is cuy?

Shelly

Post   » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:13 pm

Oh, I read the rest of the replies and I think that I understand. It is a guinea pig with a mutation usually orange and white, giant size and has extra toes. Wow!
Shelly

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:15 pm

You know how normal guinea pigs can be hard to catch and pick up at first? Multiply that times 1000. You can barely get a handle on these cuys. They are struggling and trying to get away plus they are super strong so you need a good grip. And good luck with nail trims!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:18 am

Matthew -- plus you need a cage WITH A TOP. Not optional. They can jump clean out of C&C's.

They are not domestic animals. Their coloring may look like that of a normal guinea pig, but they have been bred and raised for meat. They are essentially wild animals, that have yet to go through the centuries of domestication normal guinea pigs (and cows and horses and pigs and ducks) have.

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:50 am

If you find that the "touch-up" cleanings you do normally every couple days between the thorough weekly cleanings now entail throwing all of the bedding out every two days because it's soaked, then you have a "cuy".

If you find yourself making at least twice as many orders for pellets and hay than you did with "normal" piggies, you have a cuy.

If you hear a stampede instead of scampering when you come into the room, you have cuy.

But I have to say, I'm enjoying Paula Bunyan and her friends. They are getting easier to catch - I don't have to do as many mid-air catches.

I feel bad for them though being this scared. They can't be enjoying this too much. We're trying to give them a quiet, calm habitat.

bigpiggies

Post   » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:59 am

Bubbles
Was left at Petco in Antioch, CA with cage and all supplies, I mentioned that I'd like to rescue a pig and the store said someone had just left one.
Jan 2011
4 lbs 6 oz at last weigh in
No abnormalities
Very sweet, loves her ears rubbed, hates being caught, but enjoys lap time and brushing. She purrs and kisses.
Right eye has been irritated, I've medicated it, but still having problems. She may be allergic to something.

Large Marge
Aug 2011
Adopted at Andy's Pet Shop in San Jose Ca/Northstar Rescue
4lbs 1oz at last wiegh in, I think she's gained weight.
Red and White
No abnormalities
Was grumpy and bossy with Bubbles for a while, but has mellowed. Was easier to catch when I first got her, she learned to run from Bubbles. Loves lap time though and will let me clip her nails.
No health problems so far.

I intentionally searched for a "large" companion for my Bubbles. I found Large Marge on Pet Finder. It took them a while to settle in but they are doing fine. My 10 yr old daughter has no problem handling this pigs, they are beautiful and sweet. I'll post pictures soon. I keep them in an open top CG cage, no problems. They also love my two labs.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:07 am

"Large Marge". That is cute :-)

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:43 am

bigpiggies - If you need another cuy, I've got 7! "Paula Bunyan" and Cali are cuys for sure and we think 5 others are her kids. They've reached 1300-1400 grams and they're probably 5 or 6 months old. We're in La Honda - west of Redwood City.

I think North Star just got 2 more in from the transport from southern California last weekend.

I'll be updating the cuy data with our new ones soon. I've been waiting for them to grow up to see how big they'll get.

Nevis

Post   » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:06 pm

Oh wow. Is there no information on this, except for this forum?

Why are Pet stores selling them as pets!?