Sakura - Medical Thread

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun May 16, 2010 11:07 pm

Would offering some really tasty help while you checked her fur?

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Mon May 17, 2010 2:26 am

I've tried that; her favorite treats didn't distract her.

I might have the vet examine the bald spot on her back at the next visit.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:56 pm

Miss Sakura has been healthy this year, and she is about 5.5 years old now.

She has developed a cyst on her back end that has been growing at an alarming rate.

It is difficult to get a picture that shows the size.

This one shows the location. Until recently, her long fur covered it easily:

Fortunately, the cyst hasn't been interfering with her ability to walk or move about, and her appetite has been normal.

She visited Dr. Wright earlier today, and he is going to remove the cyst surgically tomorrow. He feels confident about the surgery, especially since he won't have to place her on her back.

I am nervous.

Topaz

Post   » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:11 pm

Good thoughts being sent for Sakura, Tracis. Hopefully you'll be updating us tomorrow telling us how wonderfully she did.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:20 pm

Ditto Topaz. Fingers crossed here as well.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:34 pm

Fingers crossed!

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:13 am

Sending you the best of our thoughts. It's a good thing that Miss Sakura is eating normally though, so she would be in good shape going into surgery tomorrow.

How big is the cyst? Can't really tell from the pictures.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:32 am

Using a little imagination I can get an idea of how big that is. You are doing the right thing by taking her in, especially if she will not have to be placed on her back during surgery.

Very very best wishes to her and to you. Please keep us posted on how she's doing.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:58 am

Good luck for Sakura! Is the skin smooth and healthy? Any breaks in the surface of the skin? If you will be there, maybe they would let you take a couple photos before surgery but after the fur is shaved to give an idea of size. Are you going to have it analyzed? I took some cool photos of Snowflakes' lump some years back.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:45 pm

Miss Sakura is home. The surgery went well, and there was enough skin for Dr. Wright to close up the wound with stitches instead of Tegaderm Bandages.

She is eating already, but rather grumpy, so I do not have any pictures of her yet.

I do have a picture of the cyst:

It was filled with white thick stuff. I wish I could afford to send it for analysis, but that would have been another $195. ( I do have a second view of the cyst - from the side that was sliced open, but it turned out a bit blurry.)

Sakura came home with Enrofloxacin, Metacam, Buprenorphine, and a packet of Critical Care (just in case).

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:05 pm

Wow. Turco has one too but it's so close to his anal opening I'm (and Dr. A) is afraid surgery might do more harm than good.

I'm so glad Sakura is doing well after that. She probably will feel so much better.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:32 pm

Oh, poor Turco. I hope that his cyst is not fast-growing.