Noddy's sick. Aerococcus. Please help

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:10 am

I would just like to think everything we and our poor pigs went through learning to do it (including but not limited to reaming an 18g clear through my finger one time) could help someone else. :-p

Hilary Holmes

Post   » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:45 am

Talishan, that's brilliant advice (as usual!) Thank you for that.
He's lost more weight, so I've decided to start supplementing him with Critical Care again. Fortunately he quite likes that, so I'm hoping it won't be too much of a battle to get it into him.
He's definitely not right this morning. He's spending a lot of time with his face to the corner of the cage, and looks a bit "fluffed up". I think these are signs of pain? I've just had him on my knee whilst he was having some fluids and he was kind of shaking. I can't really describe it, but he seemed "jittery". Again, I wondered if he was going to pee, but he didn't. I'm now beginning to wonder if he's got bladder stones or grit. Maybe I can get an X- ray done? He's such a placid pig I hope they won't need an anaesthetic to do that, as I don't know if he would survive it. So, we're off to the vet again this afternoon. I've given him a dose of Metacam, (1ml of 0.5mg/ml) so no doubt that will have kicked in and he'll perk up when we get to the vet! Still, no-one knows my pigs better than me, and I know he's declined again over the last 24 hours.
Does anyone have any advice on things I should be asking the vet?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:00 am

It does indeed sound like he is in pain. Let us know what the vet says.

Hilary Holmes

Post   » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:17 pm

Well, that was a complete and utter waste of time and money!!! The vet couldn't find anything except a bit of tenderness in Noddy's tummy. His penis is still very dirty and looks bruised, the vet thought he's been chewing because it's uncomfortable. Noddy pee'd loads of slightly cloudy urine, but the vet thought that was OK, despite me telling him I'd forced 30mls fluid down his neck at lunchtime. He said he couldn't feel any stones in his bladder (!) He was adamant he didn't want to give antibiotics, because of the problems they can cause, and I almost got laughed out of town when I suggested Metronidazole.
Noddy's weight on the vet's scales was exactly the same as it had been back in August. So when I said that Noddy had gained a lot
and lost it all since then, I was ignored!
And when I mentioned Guinea Lynx, I felt he thought I'd been using a sllightly seedy chat room!!!
So, I've come home and could cry! I feel as if I've been dismissed as an over anxious parent. And I've still got a pig that isn't right, is sleepy and quieter than usual, although he of course perked up and chattered away at the vet's.
He's told me to continue supplementing with fluids and food, (patronisingly told me that the more fluid the better, as it would flush things through, as if I didn't know), carry on with regular pain relief ,and gave Noddy a Vit B injection to "stimulate his appetite". He then patted me on the head and sent me home with a lighter bank balance.
Rant over!
So, here's the thing. I'm now going away with the pigs for a few days, which isn't a problem, as they are used to it. But what to do next. I know you'll say see a more cavy savvy vet, and I will when we get back. I use this particular vet because they have a "good " reputation and are close by and easily accessible, which I need because of a disability. Because it was an emergency, I had no choice as to which vet I saw.
I guess I'll see how he goes over the next day or two. If he really goes downhill whilst we're away,I'll get him down to the Cambridge Cavy Trust to see Vedra. If he remains as he is, I'll fix something with another vet, and at least get a second opinion.
Do you think that's a plan? Or do you think I'm over-reacting, as the vet seemed to do?

gvstate01

Post   » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:30 pm

I'm so sorry, I'd be SO frustrated if I wasn't listened to, he seems like a know-it-all from what you said and doesn't seem to care much at all about pigs? I don't think you're overreacting at all, I would have thrown a fit until they gave me the metronidazole! lol

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:13 pm

I would be frustrated too. I know how much you care about the little guy!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:37 pm

It's a plan and you were emphatically NOT overreacting. (Ditto gvstate btw.)

Is this BamBam's vet?

Hilary Holmes

Post   » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:05 am

Yes, It's massively frustrating, and they were tears of frustration. He's sleepiy again this morning, but is taking CC and extra fluids with added Vit C.
No, it wasn't BamBam's vet I saw, it's the vet practice I've always used, but not one of the vets I usually see. Because it was an emergency, I had to see the only vet available. If Noddy is no better after we've been away,I will make an appointment to see BamBam's vet then.
Thank you again for all your support.

Hilary Holmes

Post   » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:37 pm

Well, Noddy's no better and no worse, as far as I can tell, although he is again getting more difficult to syringe feed. I simply cannot get to see another vet for at least a week, because of work and other commitments, however, I've managed to speak to the rodentologist who saw him earlier this year and she's going to have a look at him on Monday. She knows a local vet who can X-ray (I believe without GA) and who also has loads of experience of dealing with bladder sludge and stones, should that be necessary. Hopefully, there will be no major change over the weekend, and we can get a sensible, non-patronising opinion from her on Monday. I just really need to know he's not in pain, and I'm not missing something that could be put right.
Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

BamBam

Post   » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:47 pm

The worst thing of all is feeling that you've run out of options.

You're not there yet.

If I come back as a pig I want to come live with you!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:35 am

Ditto BamBam.

" ... a sensible, non-patronising opinion ... "

This would be wonderful. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Hilary Holmes

Post   » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:30 pm

Well I think we're getting nowhere fast, except downhill. I do so hope he can hang on until Monday when we see Louise. I can't do much over the weekend, as I'm working. I'm getting to the stage where I'm in fear every time I open the door to the room where they are, in case of what I may find. You know what I'm saying!
He's been out for some floor time with MaggieMae but not done much except eat the newspaper I put down as a poop area. He's ben eating bits and pieces, but not huge amounts, and as I've said before, I'm struggling to get him to take the CC. I know there's no option but to keep persevering with that, and of course I will do, but can't think of much else I can do. He will eat spinach, which I know isn't ideal, but I'm at the stage of thinking it's better he eats something, than withhold his favourite foodstuff. Am I doing wrong??