Sakura - Medical Thread

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:33 pm

Whoa! That thing looks pretty big. I'm so glad she made it through the surgery okay. She's such a beautiful girl. :)

Sending gobs of 'Get Well Soon!' wishes to Sakura from me and the boys.

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:45 pm

I'm sure Sakura is happy that is gone. Get well wishes from me and my girls.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:58 pm

Glad it all went well!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:21 pm

That does look pretty big! Did the vet think it was a follicular cyst?

Very glad to hear it went well here, too! Hope it heals up quickly!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:50 pm

Good GodAmighty damn. That thing is *huge*.

Meds all sound right. Nice that he could close (I'm a little surprised, positively so, that he could) with skin.

Best to her and to you. Let us know how she's doing.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:01 am

I am not sure what type of cyst it might be, but I will be sure to ask at her next appointment. I had not realized how big it really was until I saw it after it had been removed.

Sakura is still a bit zoned out, but eating. She isn't drinking much yet, so I've been giving her extra-wet veggies. I've seen her at the water bottle once, and she took 3 tiny sips.

She's made one slow walking lap around the cage. Dr. Wright said that we did not need to make her cage smaller as long as she was mostly staying quiet.

I haven't seen her in a typical sleeping position yet. She shifts a lot when she is standing and nibbling hay.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:41 am

Her back end is probably both sore and weird-feeling to her. The humongous thing is gone, but since Dr. Wright was able to stitch her up, the skin back there is probably stretched pretty tight. It may take her a few tries to find a position that is comfortable for her to sleep in.

For the first 30-36 hours especially, don't be afraid of the buprenorphine. Give her some if you have reason to think she needs it, along with the Metacam. They can be used together quite effectively.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:24 am

She just had a dose of Buprenorphine at 10:00 pm, so I hope she will have a comfy night.

Stitches:

Medications:

Buprenorphine .3 mg/ml -- .2 ml every 8 hours for 3 to 5 days
Meloxicam 1.5 mg/ml -- .25 ml once per day for 7 days
Enrofloxacin 25 mg/ml -- .6 ml twice a day for 14 days

She weighed 1328 grams before the surgery.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:42 am

I'm so glad Sakura has done well with her op. That cyst is enormous! It will be cute to see her bum hair growing back.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:13 am

Excellent excellent excellent. Dr. Wright is not afraid of pain medication. (You can tell him if he ever wants to move to Atlanta he'll be most welcome. :-)

You may be able to taper the buprenorphine off before the third to fifth days. Go by her demeanor, but if he gave you enough for five days, he is a very wise vet. If she has trouble with the enrofloxacin (Baytril), get it changed to Bactrim. (I am going on the assumption it is to prevent infection postop, not to address an active current infection. Active current infection is horse of another color.)

She probably weighs about 1200 grams now ... without the cyst!! Bear in mind when considering postop weight loss that a nontrivial amount of those 1328 grams was that cyst. Dr. Wright didn't by any chance weigh it, did he?

Keep us posted but I am betting she will do just fine.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:21 am

If it was filled with thick stuff, I am guessing this was either keratinous material (I think that's what Josephine called the what I would have guessed was sebum) rather than abscessed material. Sounds like it was a good idea to remove it. I wonder if this is the kind of thing that errupts (if untreated) into those nasty large open wound type things.

She is lookin' good! Let me know if you'd like your photos added to the thread.

Topaz

Post   » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:14 pm

I'm so glad she made it through o.k!

Now heal up quickly, pretty Miss Sakura. Ninja healing vibes being sent.