Sakura - Medical Thread

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:01 am

She is lookin' good! Hope she continues to heal well!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:18 am

Buprenorphine: decrease the dose and/or extend the time period.

If you are going to be up for a little while longer, say, then extend this dose by 2 or 3 hours (don't give her any more right now). If she starts to get uncomfortable, give it to her then. Buprenorphine works extremely quickly.

If on the other hand she's still doing well, then give her a slightly smaller dose before you go to bed and check on her first thing in the morning. Work with reducing the dose amount and extending the frequency based on her demeanor and behavior.

Continue her Metacam for a while yet, regardless of how she responds to reducing the buprenorphine. They act in two entirely different ways and manage her postsurgical pain differently.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:59 am

Thanks!

I decreased her dose of Buprenorphine a little. It's been a few hours, and she is still acting alert and munching on hay.

She even walked over to her pellet bowl, ate a few pellets, and then wheeked for a veggie treat!

The prescription bottle says 3-5 days, and today (the 18th) is the 5th day. I might give the vet's office a call later, and get their opinion as well.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:02 am

Sounds like a plan.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:55 am

She looks great! And maybe a little put off in that last pic (veggies, ma, veggies!!) Incision looks fabulous.

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:50 am

It was a big cyst! So glad all went well in her sugery and she is doing fine. Sakura is a doll. :)

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:47 pm

Had a little surprise this morning.

I noticed this morning at 6am that Sakura's face was looking cleaner, as if she had been grooming herself (which is good).

Then I saw a dark spot on her stitches. It's about the size of the tip of a pinky finger.

It's dried blood. She did not bleed very much; there wasn't any blood on her bedding.

The stitch is still intact. The area is not swollen, or red, or hot to the touch. Sakura's appetite is better today than it was yesterday.

I think she has been trying to groom herself, and may have pulled on the incision site while trying to stretch that leg. I watched her scratch her head earlier with that foot.

I've got a phone call into the vet's office, just in case.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:36 pm

I think your assessment is probably right. It doesn't look like anything worrisome but certainly something to watch to make sure nothing else develops. Keep us posted.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:49 am

The vet wants to see her tomorrow (Wednesday) at 3, just to be sure that everything is still intact.

She gained a little weight today!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:50 am

Ditto StF. The "blackberry"-looking thing(ies) are normal for an incision that size.

"The area is not swollen, or red, or hot to the touch"

This is what's important (as well as the stitch staying intact). Is there any odor?

That incision looks just spot on perfect to me. They do get a little redder and a little more gruesome-looking before they begin to visually heal (well, visually to us anyway).

Edit: just as well. Let us know what he says. You have a drop dead *awesome* vet.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:55 am

No odd smells, thank goodness.

She has definitely been more alert today than yesterday, even to the point of wheeking for food and snatching it out of my hand.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:55 am

All good signs. It also sounds as if you have tapered down the buprenorphine effectively, while without putting her in discomfort.