Sakura - Medical Thread

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:09 am

Yes, I started decreasing the Buprenorphine last night. There is a tiny bit left which should be enough for a dose tomorrow morning (if she needs it).

Sakura has a few more days of Metacam, and another week of Enrofloxacin.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:28 pm

It sounds like Sakura is doing really well. Hooray for weight gain and food snatching!

Good luck at the vet.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:03 pm

Just got home from the vet. Sakura is still doing well (though annoyed), and her stitches look great, according to Dr. Wright.

I asked what type of cyst it was, and here it is:

Trichoepithelioma

(The name looks almost as big as the cyst.)

Bugs Mom

Post   » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:12 pm

I'm glad she's doing so well.

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:18 pm

WOW! That cyst was huge! I am so glad she is doing well.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:38 pm

I went looking for info on that type of tumor and found it commonly occurring "often forming at the base of the tail." ;-)
http://www.petmd.com/exotic/conditions/ ... ers_tumors

Perhaps it is related to a trichofolliculoma.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:47 pm

Sakura stopped eating. I suspect the Enrofloxacin (Baytril), though the vet's office disagrees with me.

We had our first handfeeding session today. It wasn't too bad, all things considered. She even ate a few veggies for me afterwards.

Her weight was 1178g before the feeding, and 1186g after.

I do not remember who suggested the wonderful idea of using the big syringe that comes with the Critical Care to fill the tiny 1cc syringes, but it was SUCH a big help. Thank you!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:51 pm

I hope quitting the Baytril does the trick. Eating is so important! Go Sakura!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:50 am

How much longer is she supposed to be on the Baytril for?

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:56 am

She has another week to go, which would be the 28th. :(

Today was the last day for Metacam.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:38 am

Mumble.

Given the looks of her incision I'd want to stop it now, unless Dr. Wright thinks there is an active infection requiring Baytril. Otherwise I'd want the last week to be Bactrim, under the assumption this is for pre-emptive postsurgical care only.

I suspect you feel the same. See how she does but if she gets any worse regarding the AB I'd want to make some noise over at the vet's office if it were me. I hate to even write that because they have done such an outstanding job up to now.

She may also need a little more Metacam, but that's not for sure. Don't hesitate to ask them for more if you think she needs it (which I know you would anyway).

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:24 pm

Baytril always messes up my pig's appetite too. If she's doing well, I would go with Bactrim too. She seems to be healing fine.

But, if she's taking the CC well, see how she does over the next few days.