Norbie's Health Issue

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:22 pm

I am pretty sure this is the first time for posting about my Norbie. She was born Feb 2006 so today she is my oldest pig (and my original piggie that started it all) at 5 years 7 months.

Several Months ago, I noticed a rather large bumb on her left side. I took her to my vet and she did a needle extraction to determine if it was cancer. Luckily, it wasn't. My vet didn't want to do anything since it did not seem to be bothering Norbie. She was very active and continues to be active today, running when I feed the veggies and the KM pellets and Hay!!

THe cyst has gotten bigger. It now looks RED. It is probably the size of a golf ball. Norbie's weight is stable at about 1020g. (she has always been one of my smaller piggies).

I changed the cage today so I picked the 3 girls up and put them in floortime while I cleaned the cage. I did notice that the cyst is weaping a bit. It is still pretty solid, and I really don't want to inflame it any more so I didn't really look at it too much.

We have a vet appointment at noon on Friday. Do you think I should use some dilute betadine on it a couple of times a day until Friday? I don't want to make it worse and, like I said, it doesn't seem to be bothering Norbie. (but, If I had a golfball size cyst, I know it would be bothering me!)

Here is a picture...Norbie is laying close to the edge of the cage. I put a Weaver cozy under her and she moved off of it (which, of course is NOT normal for any of my piggies)

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:40 pm

I would put a warm compress on it first and probably a dilute betadine after, as you suggested. Do you have any Metacam?

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:44 pm

Sending good thoughts for Norbie, and I hope the vet appointment goes well.

My Sakura had surgery for a cyst removal last week, so I know what you and Norbie are going through.

Sakura's cyst was never weepy; however, my vet stressed that if her cyst were to rupture before it was removed, it would be considered an urgent situation.

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:09 pm

Yes, STF, I have metacam from when Nacho was being treated in March. I can give Norbie some of that. I just don't want to inflame it any worse if we can make it until FRiday at noon.

I had a piggie years ago who had an open cyst on her head and we used dilute betadine and she was fine. I am off tomorrow so I will keep a close eye on her. My vet is off tomorrow and she is the only exotic vet at the clinic.

gvstate01

Post   » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:27 pm

My vet is always off the days I need her too ;) lol. But this is why she gives me her cell and email! I think I'm spoiled 0:-)

I've never had this situation happen (yet). Although I do have a pig with several fatty lumps. One's getting to the size of almost a walnut. But like your vet said as well, it wasn't removed since it isn't bothering her. I'm concerned of what it looks like and how big it is. It's very possible it's not bothering her, they seem to manage with a lot worse it seems!

I'm eager to see how the vet goes and just giving well wishes to you and Norbie, what a sweetie pie :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:41 pm

If it is really large, perhaps the skin is stretched and itchy and she scratched or bit at it.

I imagine you will need to have it surgically removed. Good luck!

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:34 pm

Lynx, you are right!

I took Norbie to the vet. Her surgery is set for monday afternoon. We came home with Bactrim Susp (SMZ-TMP) to start her on antibiotics. I asked what would happen if the cyst broke before monday and so I got instructions just in case.

I have put Norbie in the quarentine cage. She is going to need to be in there post-surgery and we just didn't want to risk the cyst opening before the surgery. When I left for work, she was in the weaver cozy. But, when I got home, she was at the other end of the quarentine cage and my husband said she hasn't moved since he got home from work.

But, she did eat her veggies that I left so I know she ate something. She looks so sad by herself!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:43 pm

I think my Snowflake bit at her probable trichofolliculoma making it bleed. https://www.guinealynx.info/trichofolliculoma.html I bet Norbie will be glad to have it removed!

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:53 pm

I am worried that she wil do ok. She is 5 years 9 months old.

I have never had a piggie that has needed surgery before. I just want her to be ok. She is my last remaining original piggie and it just wouldn't be the same here without her.

She is usch a special piggie. SHe gives me kisses! She was all over me at the vets today.

Ok, my husband just said, "I don't want to here about it" He gets very attached to the piggies. Norbie is just extra special to us.

Please send us prayers that Norbie will make it through the surgery and that she will heal ok.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:00 pm

I am keeping Norbie in my thoughts. She is such a beautiful and special girl. :)

Miss Sakura sends good wishes too!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:01 pm

Snowflake was 6 years old.

Although there are risks to any surgery, I think this is one of the easier ones. I take it your vet monitors anesthesia closely? Hoping for the best!

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:24 pm

Yes, Lynx, she even told me that Norbie will be monitored the entire time and into recovery. She said to bring some of her normal food, and they would try to feed her in recovery.

This vet is very knowlegable. I really like her. She has two guinea pigs of her own. With my previous vet, I clearly knew more about guinea pigs then he did but that is not the case with my current vet. I trust her.

I didn't ask how long the surgery itself was. She wants Norbie in a couple hours before surgery so they give her pain meds.

I know she will contiue the antibiotic for 2 weeks. And, I asked about pain meds and she said Metacam. She wrote me a prescription for Silvadene Cream (Silver Sulfadiazine cream) in case the cyst ruptured this weekend. Plus, she said weak betadine.

I asked about Baytril vs SMZ-TMP and she said she preferred the Bactrim/Septra because there is less of a chance of GI side effects.