Norbie's Health Issue

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:28 pm

Thanks Tracis and Miss Sakura! I just gave Norbie her second dose of antibiotics and I made a show of her water bottle so now she is drinking! I was worried when the husband said she wasn't moving. There is not a lot of poop in the quarentine cage.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:38 pm

Fingers tightly crossed here.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:03 am

Try giving her some Critical Care over the weekend to 1) get her used to it and 2) put a little extra weight on her before Monday.

I think she will do fine -- but send very best wishes for blessings and protection to her, too.

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:14 am

My vet said NOT to do anything different with her diet. SHe specifically said that. I asked if I should push more veggies and she said nothing different.

gvstate01

Post   » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:22 am

Hmm that's weird, never heard of that and can't think of a reason why..

Obfuscated

Post   » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:29 am

Maybe to be completely sure that a change in diet wasn't the cause of any new issues that might pop up in the near future, or to avoid putting stress on the digestive system?

Just a couple of total random guesses- ignore me if I make no sense, please.

Hoping all the best for Norbie- don't worry, you'll be giving her the best care and it sounds like your vet will, too.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:46 am

Maintaining good gut flora is quite important. It could be if all is currently going well, she does not want anything out of balance and believes you provide a good diet.

Supplementing with vitamin C wouldn't hurt though.

gvstate01

Post   » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:09 pm

Very good reasons, thanks :) And agree with the vitamin c too :)

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:56 pm

I have vitamin C here too. I can give her some.

My Critical Care that I have here is expired but only by a month or so. I can try to give her some but I will say that none of my piggies seem to like it. I do have a couple jars of baby food (carrots and bananas) that I can add to improve the flavor.

Off to give Norbie her antibiotic. She seems ok so far. She is still eating and drinking.

Her weight today is: 925gm (she is my smallest piggie)

She has lost about 30gm in the past 2 months.

She sucked down the antibiotic and the vitamin C. I gave her a baby carrot. (Plus, she has had 2+ cups of veggies today)

I might give her another treat before bed.

I want her to weigh as much as possible on monday. I know the doctor said to not do anything different but I figure she is going to eat less for a couple days after the surgery.

(I need to go and re-read SaKura's thread to see if she lost weight. I woudl think any piggie who has surgery would lose weight)

gvstate01

Post   » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:33 pm

My pigs lose maybe 30-40g depending on the surgery (more for spays of course). But it's normal for the vet to restore fluids lost and will give subq fluids which is most of the weight lost anyway. Just make sure she's eating by herself by the end of the day :) Mine normally want hay within a half hour though lol

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:16 pm

I got Norbie home about a 1/2 hour ago. She is wrapped in a towel and I figured to keep her wrapped so she doesn't get cold. Her one side is shaved. She looks like she would be cold.

She seems really quiet. Awake but quiet. THe only noise she made was when I was bringing the carrier into the house. I had a couple of plastic bags from the grocery store in one hand and the carrier in the other. I think the noise of the plastic bags means "wheek wheek!". But, she's been quiet since then.

She is back in the quarentine cage. She has eaten a couple of pieces of endive, some radicchio, and some 3rd cut timothy. (she seems more interested in the hay)

I also gave her the evening dose of antibiotic (Smz-Tmp). I have her a couple of syringes of water since she is not walking around and I want her to have water. (I wet the veggies as well)

The Vet said the cyst was "solid". She expected it to be more cyst like so she is sending it off to be analysed.

Should she be walking around yet? Because she is just laying there. She is letting me give her water and she is eating hay. So, I guess that is a good thing.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:05 pm

Sending good thoughts for Norbie! So glad that she is home again.

For the first 24 hours after her surgery, Sakura wasn't very active. She would kind of wander a bit to the center of her cage, and then just sit there, as if to say, "What was I doing again?"

I kept putting food directly in front of her, and then she would eat a bit, especially for the first few days. I did use the Critical Care twice. (She did not enjoy it, but hated it less than the antibiotic.)

I think it take a while for the anesthesia to get out of their systems.