Norbie's Health Issue

Topaz

Post   » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:13 pm

Eating is good. Good thoughts being sent for your girl.

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:26 pm

Yeah, I will put something in front of Norbie and she will eat it. I then put another piece in front of her and looks at it blankly. I come back 15 minutes later and re-hand her something and she starts eating again. She just had a huge piece of parsley. I still have cucumbers, strawberries, and raspberries to try. LOL

She's getting spoiled! I am just so happy that she made it through surgery.

I am worried because she is my smallest pig at 934g. (this was her weight when they weighed her at the vet today). I know she doesn't really have any extra weight that she can spare. But, she has always been in the 900-1000g range. She looks a lot smaller now that her entire side is shaved.

I am hoping that she is more herself tomorrow. She IS eating and she is drinking when I give it to her in a syringe.

How much water should I be giving her until she starts drinking from the water bottle?

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:35 pm

I'd say give her as much water as she wants. She will feel better if she is hydrated.

In Sakura's case, it was easier to get medications and syringes of water into her when she was still "zoned out". She wouldn't fight me as much.

I posted Sakura's weight changes on her thread.

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:13 am

Norbie is looking better today but she is not moving around much. She is not pooping much either. There were only 4-5 poops overnight. I am assuming that the pain meds is part of the reason.

She IS eating (especially when I hand her food). I probably should have measure how much I gave her. She probably ate about 1/2 the bowl of greens this morning plus a baby carrot and hay. She is eating more hay then anything.

I just weighed her and she was 874g. She weighed 934 yesterday before the surgery. I am assuming that the cyst weighed some. THey gave her IV fluids so maybe that is why she is not drinking much yet. She will take a syringe of water from me at a time. When I try for 2 syringes, she fights me. But, I can get her to take a syringe of water every 30 minutes or so.

Here is a picture of the incision

(My poor baby)

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:19 am

Sending more good thoughts for Norbie. She has the same look on her face that Sakura had the day after her own surgery.

DMac
Supporter in '10, '11, & '12

Post   » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:32 am

Aw, poor Norbie! She'll feel better soon without that lump.

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:35 am

Tracis, should I worry that she is not moving around? She is just staying in one place. She has yet to use the water bottle (that I know of)..She will eat if I put the food in front of her but she is not going out of her way to eat, even if the food is 2 inches from her face. I have to put the food right under her chin before she will eat. But, she will eat.

I have a bowl and it holds about a cup of food and its now about 3/4 gone.

I am going to work in a couple hours. I am worried that she won't drink. My husband gets home about 2 hours after I leave but he is not going to syringe her water. He will give her some veggies tho. I can make her up a bag and make sure they are wet so when if she eats while I am gone she will get some water.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:40 pm

"She will eat if I put the food in front of her but she is not going out of her way to eat, even if the food is 2 inches from her face."
"I can make her up a bag and make sure they are wet so when if she eats while I am gone she will get some water."

This sounds exactly like what we just went through with Sakura. She really did not want to move around the cage.

I literally piled hay around her, so no matter which direction she turned, there would be food.

A bag of wet veggies that your husband can give to her sounds like a great idea. Was she a big drinker before the surgery?

Sakura still isn't using the water bottle as much as she used to, so wet veggies really do help.

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:26 pm

I would say she is normally a decent water drinker. Certainly, she was always in line when I changed the water bottle. She loves the cold filter water from the fridge.

I need to pile hay around her. I gave her some corn silk and she devoured it.

I am off to work...I'll spoil her tonight when I get home.

I gave her two cucumber slices. She ate one.

She is pooping more....they are sort of shaped funny but they are a good color. (imagine being happy about poops!).

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:04 pm

Make sure she is nice and warm too. Hoping for a good recovery.

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:22 am

My husband fed Norbie while I was a work. THe first thing I did was go in and check on her. She looked up at me and got really excited and started wheeking. I know she wanted something. I got a syringe and tried to give her water but she didn't seem to want any. My husband gave her about 1/2 of the veggies I left so that was a decent amount. Plus, they were really wet. I'm not sure what she wanted but it was so great to hear her little wheek!

I saw her walk up to the water bottle, put her mouth to it and walk away. But, clearly she knows where the water bottle is and she can hop up on the paver stone to drink.

I gave her some more veggies (really wet) and I add more hay to the cage. She ate a good bit of hay. But, of course, what piggie doesnt like KM 3rd cut Timothy?

She is walking around more but she still would rather mommy just feed her.

I gave her the PM dose of her antibiotic.

THe vet called to check on her. I clearly knew more about GP's then the girl in the office. But, it was nice that they called. Also, my vet is there wednesday and thursday if I need to bring her in or if I have more questions.

I wanted to weigh her but she was munching on the hay and I didn't want to interupt her.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:17 am

Norbie sounds like she is doing well. Yay!!