Noddy's sick. Aerococcus. Please help

Hilary Holmes

Post   » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:37 pm

Well I think we're getting nowhere fast, except downhill. I do so hope he can hang on until Monday when we see Louise. I can't do much over the weekend, as I'm working. I'm getting to the stage where I'm in fear every time I open the door to the room where they are, in case of what I may find. You know what I'm saying!
He's been out for some floor time with MaggieMae but not done much except eat the newspaper I put down as a poop area. He's ben eating bits and pieces, but not huge amounts, and as I've said before, I'm struggling to get him to take the CC. I know there's no option but to keep persevering with that, and of course I will do, but can't think of much else I can do. He will eat spinach, which I know isn't ideal, but I'm at the stage of thinking it's better he eats something, than withhold his favourite foodstuff. Am I doing wrong??

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:37 pm

"Am I doing wrong??"

No. Just don't overdo it -- that is, don't give him tons and tons *more* than you normally would have when he was well just because that's about the only thing he'll eat on his own now.

Hilary Holmes

Post   » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:42 pm

We've had some amazing help from a brilliant piggy loving friend over the weekend who has been in and given him fluids and CC whilst I've been at work. She's also brought lots of grass which both Noddy and MaggieMae have ben enjoying.
Unfortunately, the rodentologist we were due to see today has had to cancel, and i don't know when we'll be able to see her again. However, Nody seems a litle brighter again, so I'll wait and see how he goes over the next few days.

My main reason for posting is that I just had Noddy on my knee giving him a cudle and some fluids. He started getting a bit agitated and then did a small wee on the towel I had him on. I have some out of date urine dip sticks, so I put one between two layers of towel and squeezed. I know it's probably not the best way to test urine, but sometimes, needs must. The dipsticks are still accurate, because I've used them with my own urine as a control. (Sorry, too much information!)

The urine showed a very large amount of urobilinogen, protein and some white cells which I was expecting because of his liver and kidney problems, but the pH was 8, which is very alkaline, in my experience, but that is in humans, not cavies. Does anyone know what that pH of guinea pig urine should be? I'm assuming it should be fairly neutral like ours. If that's the case, what, if anything, can I do?

BamBam

Post   » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:57 pm

That's absolutely spot on - PH should be 8 to 8.5

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:38 am

" .. I'm assuming it should be fairly neutral like ours."

Nope. Theirs is slightly alkaline. Ditto BamBam.

Hilary Holmes

Post   » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:10 am

We finally saw the rodentologist about 10 days ago. She couldn't find anything significantly wrong with him, teeth were fine, tummy fine, urine ok. She just felt his continuing decline was all part of his renal and liver failure, and the best thing to do was support and enjoy him as best I can, which I have obviously been doing.

I've been weighing him weekly and it seems his weight loss is accelerating. He's lost 100g in the last 2 weeks, although he appears to be eating, and wheeking lots when it seems there may be more food, and especially hay, on the horizon.
I'm supplementing his feeds with CC and mashed pellets, and been giving him extra fluids with added Vit C. Today, some of his poops looked smaller than normal, and the more normal ones looked a bit "slimy". They also seemed to smell more than usual. His tummy is soft. Should I also be giving him a pro-biotic, such as Bio-Lapis, "just in case"?

He is also sleeping more, and at times seems "fluffed up", as if he was cold. I know this is a sign of being in pain, so I've been giving him Metacam. I know this is a gastric irritant, I have no option but to give it, as I don't want him in pain, but could this be causing problems with his gut, and thus making him in pain and anorexic?

I'm loathe to take him to the vet, as they seem to have given up on him (as per my post on 15/10). Do I just continue as I am doing, or is there anything else I can do to support him?

BamBam

Post   » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:06 am

Hilary, what about Rimadyl (carprofen)? Would that be more or less irritating?

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:10 am

My Arnold has a terrible time when he's on Metcam. His poops become very soft, his tummy blows up like a balloon and his tummy makes alot of rumbles.

Since he's swapped over to Rimadyl (Carprofen) all but the rumbly tum has ceased. I'd recommend giving it a try.

Hilary Holmes

Post   » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:04 am

Thanks guys. We have an appointment with a cavy savvy vet on Friday, so I will certainly discuss it with her. NSAIDs (and metacam is one) are excreted via the kidneys, and as he has renal problems, I don't want to compound the problem by loading them with metacam. Whether Rimadyl is any better, I don't know, but will try and find out. I guess it's a balancing act between managing his comfort, gastric irritation and kidney failure.
And still, he doesn't complain, gives loving licks, and chases MaggieMae out of the way when he's feeling irritated by her nagging him

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:35 pm

I have been told that Metacam (meloxicam) is excreted mainly through the kidneys and Rimadyl (carprofen) is excreted mainly through the liver. To what degree this is true I don't know -- NSAID's are handled by both organs -- but I've been told this more than once, so I tend to believe that Metacam is a tad harder on the kidneys and Rimadyl a tad harder on the liver. Therefore I would definitely discuss using Rimadyl (carprofen) with the vet for Noddy.

BamBam

Post   » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:04 am

Arrrgggghhhh!

Noddy and Maggie Mae are with me this week end whilst mum is away. He had a pre-arranged vet visit which we went to yesterday to discuss options as his condition progresses. The vet commented that his poops were a bit soft and smelly and I wasn't too worried thinking it may just have been an excess of veg.

The three of us had a good cuddle before bed and he did look a little puffy round the face (his sign of pain) so he had some metacam.

When I came down to him this morning there was a strong smell or feaces and when I picked him up out of his cage his back end was covered in diarrhoea.

He's had simethicone (he's gassy), metacam, and activated charcoal and an additional 20ml of plain water.

I am watching him like a hawk and have updated Hilary.

He's sleeping by Maggie Mae's side at the moment and he has had a little hay now.

Please send every last bit of positive thought that you're not using right now to get him over this hiccup as soon as possible.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:50 pm

Healing thoughts Noddy's way!