Crystal formation in the urine.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:22 pm

Sshh.. don't tell Patrick I posted this but he hasn't squeaked since last Tuesday, He's on no medication other than the Cystease. I am however feeding him Barley Water daily he loves it and takes between 40 - 80mls per day.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:42 am

I can only presume Patrick's steroid injection has worn off now, well 3 days ago so we have had a very sore P for the last few days and this morning.

Patrick was at the vet's yesterday, the vet decided to change his protocol and although at first I was quite anxious about this after receiving some further information special thanks to this person as it meant P could get his med's this morning, I'm now happy enough with my vet's thoughts.

As explained to me, what we are looking for is a long term solution and although steroids did help, if we can find something safer it will be in P's benefit long term.

Patrick is now on Tramadol - Original dose was 5mg's, after discussing this with the vet we agreed to half the dose - quarter of a 10mg tablet (twice daily), if needed he can go up to 5mg.

He is to be pulsed with ABS (Septrin), this concerned me greatly as I always believed you finish the course but no in P's case this is not correct. We are giving high dosages of Septrin twice daily for a week, rest a week, repeat and then a two week gap - I will be reviewing P's protocol at this point with the vet.

If necessary, on top of this protocol he can have metacam, at my discretion but it's another pain relief options that's there if P needs it.

I know this is the medical board but I think it's about time I share a picture of Patrick. He's full of character and deserves to live the rest of his life pain free if it's possible.

I have now lost count of how many Vet visits Patrick has had, urine sample, ABS or injections - Who really knows. Let's hope we find a treatment plan soon! He has got to be one of the most high maintenance Guinea pigs I have ever owned.

I sometimes wonder what we would do without vets, forums and other owners. I really appreciate all the advice given to me and Patrick over this last year.

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:51 am

Patrick is a doll! You are going above and beyond to give him the care he needs. I have no advice but wanted to compliment you.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:40 am

I've had two vets "pulse" ABs on two different pigs. This goes against everything we intuitively understand, but as I understand it is now an accepted veterinary protocol.

Both pigs had conditions that were not resolvable, so the "pulse" method was used (along with other meds) to keep the pig as healthy and comfortable as he (both were males) could be.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:36 am

Thank you both, Talishan it's good to know it is a practice that is used. Patrick seems much better. To give you an idea of how loud he is yesterday I was awoken with him crying, today I didn't here him at all.

Fingers crossed it continues.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:01 am

3 days in and Patrick appears more hyper than usual he's always mooching at the bars and demanding his fluids, he's that lazy now I don't even think he uses the water bottle, although of course I am out so many hrs a day, so at some point he must have a drink. When I syringe his fluids he takes between 30 - 50 mls.

He seems very bright in himself, his output is perfect, he is no longer squeaking now. Perhaps we've found a plan long term, will see what happens once the Abs stop. Everything is looking very positive.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:06 pm

Patrick is perfect, we're superficially killing the pain but it's working!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:43 pm

With IC that's the best you're gonna do. Excellent news.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:16 pm

Thanks Talishan, he still has his moments but this is far the best result we have had. I know we're not fixing the problem but I have to accept we're not going to, all we are doing is managing the condition.

He is now on Zantac - to help his gut, as his output slowed down a bit. He's still very happy and ever so demanding, he just sits waiting by the bars he seems to think that's where I should be all day long.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:43 am

Well, of course you should! ;-)

Watch that the Zantac doesn't slow his gut more rather than helping. Reglan (metoclopramide, a mild motility agent) might be a better choice depending on what's causing the slowing.

Little Pig

Post   » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:07 am

Talishan - can you explain why the Zantac could slow gut movement instead of helping? I'm really interested in this as have used Zantac with success in the past for gut statis. My understanding was that metaclopramide (sp?) worked on the front gut, while Zantac was effective on the hind gut, but I'd love to learn more about this if you don't mid sharing?

Thanks.

Lovely picture of Patrick by the way Jo!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:15 am

In my experience ONLY Zantac is an antacid. Cavy stomachs don't produce much acid; their GI systems are set up differently from those of carnivores (which is why they can basically eat cellulose; i.e., wood).

Most antacids in my experience are constipating, not the reverse. Zantac's GI protective properties can be achieved in guinea pigs, again in my experience only (I am not a vet nor tech) by sucralfate (Carafate) or similar.

Metoclopramide (Reglan) is effective on the front gut; Cisapride (old trade name Propulsid) is effective on the hind gut. Zantac is *not* like, say, milk of magnesia that can both protect the stomach and loosen the bowels.