Raising a piggy in India

Jiggypiggy
Look into my Eyes!

Post   » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:01 am

Kamya26, if you have pups, you will need to introduce them to veggies slowly and in small amounts at a time, a 'cup' (depending on its size) may be too much to begin with :)

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:16 am

Oh, thanks, Jiggypiggy! It didn't even occur to me to ask about her pig's age.

kamya26

Post   » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:36 am

oh alright !

and what about that Indian hay ? [bhoosa, toodi]

i cannot find any other hay here apart from grass or dried grass

Jiggypiggy
Look into my Eyes!

Post   » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:13 am

Bhoosa is more a straw than a hay. I have never seen it, but it is likely to be harder than grass hay, and could cause 'poke' injuries to soft tissues like eyes, noses, genitals. Grass or dried grass would probably be preferable, and I doubt straw would have the beneficial nutrients that hay has - even if they would eat it. Again, especially with with babies, feed only small amounts of grass, it can contribute to painful bloat if too much is consumed at once. Is it possible to order Timothy hay online from your link, or the link given a couple of pages back?

Edited: grass or dried grass would require to be guaranteed clean and uncontaminated by urine, animal faeces, sprays, etc.

kamya26

Post   » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:48 pm

@pimpinpuji:- hey also tell me where do u get timothy hay from in bangalore! My relatives live there so i can ask them to get me timothy hay when they come over to delhi !

@jiggypggy : yes i am looking through options . :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:29 pm

Please do not use chatspeak. When you joined the forum, you agreed to write readable posts. I know you can! Proper capitalization and punctuation helps make your posts much more readable, kamya26. Thanks!

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:06 am

Kamya, your chances of finding timothy hay are much higher in Delhi, than Bangalore. I'd contact that link you had posted, and ask them about it. They had a hay bale listed, if I remember correctly.
There are also a few other links throughout this thread.

I bring mine from the US, sorry! There are a few places that I can find hay here if it is desperately necessary, though.

1. Wet Pets located on Infantry road, behind the Sony Center
2. Another pet store (that I cannot recall the name of right now) is parallel to Infantry road. Tell your relatives to take a left after Safina Plaza, and they will see the shop on their right, after about a half km.
3. PAWS pet supply store. I cannot remember how to reach there right now, but they have a facebook page. They are located near Eva Mall.

Their hay and pellets are not always in stock, so It's best to call in advance.

Paws did not carry hay the last time I checked, but they did have pellets. However, that was over a year ago, and they might carry hay now. Paws has pens that can be used as a cage, fleece blankets, fleece pads, and a lot of other things can be custom made. They are pricey, however.

kamya26

Post   » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:49 am

@ Lynx - Alright :)

@pimpinpuji - Yes! The best stores in Delhi do not stock timothy hay any longer as it is not imported now! The exporters do not export it anymore :(

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:43 pm

This site might be a good place to contact!
http://www.petguineapig.net/pet-centre- ... -new-delhi

Ebay is always an option!

vallaria

Post   » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:01 pm

HI! SO I am a guine pig owner in India, Vadodara, Gujarat and really need help with my two girlies. Are there any guine pig owners in India?

pushkar1989

Post   » Mon May 13, 2013 10:49 am

About the cardboard setup, do they eat or chew your cardboard?

ag_14

Post   » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:30 am

Hello,

I am also a guinea pig owner in India. I was living in Pune previously and have moved to vadodara. So I have some information for guinea pig owners in both these cities. Feel free to get in touch with me.