Warning on new Target grids for C&C cages

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:14 pm

I think a lot of the manufacturers are since those are cheaper :( Flimsy but cheap.

Freebulletz

Post   » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:20 am

Hey all, i am new to the forum, but i want to build a C&C cage for my guinea pigs. Sadly, one of them died 2 weeks ago :( but we're ready to adopt one soon.

My biggest problem is that i live in Hungary, and i can't get the grids. So i have asked my friend in Vegas, NV to get a box of grids for me from a local Target store. i don't know how much the shipping fee would be, but i would really like to see my pigs happy :)

i just found a Kmart 6 cubes storage unit. Cheaper but is this good also?

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1010 ... 0001P#desc

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:40 am

That one if the grids are just like they have pictured are better thatn the ones Target currently sells. The new Target sets have some grids with larger holes that are a danger for the guinea pigs (they can get their heads stuck). Make sure all the grids in the box have 9 squares across and down and are no bigger than 14 inches deep and wide. The Kmart ones you linked to, look good to me.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:04 am

It is also worth nothing that you don't NEED grids to make a safe home for your guinea pig. There are lots of ideas that people have used when they don't have or don't want the cubes. There used to be an entire album at guineapigcages.com with pictures of large and safe but non-C&C cages. The idea is that your pig have lots of space and is safe. How you do that isn't especially critical. Thanks for doing the best you can for your pets! They appreciate it so much.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:22 am

Yes, as Rshevin says, you do not NEED grids to make a safe home.

Your goal is a large space, protection from other pets (if you have dogs, cats, or other predators in the same space or if people visit you with predators), and something easy to clean. Wire shelving can work. www.cavycages.com has lots of ideas.

Freebulletz

Post   » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:06 am

I know i do not need grids, but it might be a cheaper way than buying a bigger pet store cage. Plus i really like it :)

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:17 am

ClosetMaid shelving works just as well. It's wire shelving for closets. Perhaps something like that is available in your area.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:35 pm

I imagine shipping something so heavy to Hungary would surely be quite expensive!

Freebulletz

Post   » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:49 am

alright, thanks everyone :)

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:04 pm

Hey Lynx... it occurs to me that this might make a good illustration of why even the 8x8 grids aren't safe! If the holes were any bigger at all, Captain Intelligent there would have his entire head through one. And I guarantee you he wouldn't be able to figure out how to get out.

I have a higher-res version if you're interested, and I can crop the other two pigs out.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:40 pm

Unsure if it illustrates the danger well enough. Fur/hair makes the head look larger so that it would not fit. Maybe we could get a pic of a young pig sticking its head out of a grid?

Clairebert

Post   » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:21 pm

Was not entirely sure where to post this question. I'm having trouble navigating the CC site right now, I have emailed a question to them concerning an order I placed nearly a week and a half ago. I was never sent an email confirming the order had been shipped, nor did I receiving an email from FedEx with my tracking number. I am rather worried. Has anyone ordered a CC cage from Canada before?